Treadmill vs pavement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi

Contributor
Reaction score
My personal experience is that walking/running on a treadmill seems less demanding than an equivalent speed on pavement. Is this only my imagination or is there data confirming that a treadmill is "easier" at a given speed/incline than actually moving forward along a non-moving surface.

I think it depends upon the treadmill. I've found that they are all calibrated slightly differently and a given pace on one will feel different on another. My treadmill at home, a TRUE 540, seems to read "slow." That means if it says I'm running an 8:30 pace, I'm really running closer to a 7:45 or 8:00 pace. I've confirmed this through years of use and comparison to the actual pace I'm able to attain at a given level of exertion running outside. Other treadmills I've found read closer to what I feel is the actual pace for a given level of exertion.

I do find running on the treadmill much easier on my planar fascia. After being almost exclusively an outdoors road runner and race for 7+ years, I developed a horrible case of planar fasciatus that took me months to get over. I've since found that running on a treadmill is much easier on my feet, primarily my left foot, than running on roads.

Treadmills are easier because your are not expelling as much energy to actually be pushing your body forward like you would on the street. However there are some major advantages to the treadmill, its much lower impact then on the road and you can completely tailor your training to your abilities. I prefer the treadmill but many claim it is far more boring then on the road because of lack of scenery.

Treadmills are easier because your are not expelling as much energy to actually be pushing your body forward like you would on the street. However there are some major advantages to the treadmill, its much lower impact then on the road and you can completely tailor your training to your abilities. I prefer the treadmill but many claim it is far more boring then on the road because of lack of scenery.

Yeah, well, at the gym I am currently using there is usually plenty of scenery :eyebrow: Of course, I am not there to view the chickies. :D

I don't know the official answer, but I know I get a better workout on the treadmill than I do out on my own. I can use the treadmill to force myself to keep a pace, it's easy to truly change the pace and we really have only one "hill" so I can work with the incline, too.

For me, the treadmill gives me a harder sustained workout than my usual walks - no matter how hard I push myself outside it seems!

I've been running since HS and college, both track and cross country, in the USMC we did the daily 3 miles when in garrison. Now I much prefer the treadmill. The treadmill has far less impact, no shin splints, and, as others have mentioned you can set the pace the incline etc. 4x a week, It does seem like a better and more consistent work out.

My personal experience is that walking/running on a treadmill seems less demanding than an equivalent speed on pavement.

True.

I don't recommend running on pavement; the inherent shock forces from the unyielding surface will prematurely deteriorate your joints. :(

With a treadmill, identify your target heart rate, and increase speed/incline to hit it. Avoid the stress imparted on your body by the pavement.

A quality elliptical trainer is a much better machine in my professional opinion...low impact, ability to strengthen legs, arms, shoulders, back and neck. You can selectively strengthen just about any muscle group as you master the machine. You can vary the type of strengthening from cardio-vascular to explosive power, by changing the resistance.

:coffee:

btw I am completely pro treadmill as well. When I do my PT test for work I always tend to get a better run time then I do my treadmill 1.5 mile in on the treadmill but thats because I am setting a good rate for a good heart rate for my workout too.

Back
Top Bottom