Travis Temperature AT DEPTH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian.....I did multiple dives (July) at 150+ffw and was in a full 5mil/5mil full hood/5mil gloves and was very comfortable,,,,though I dive year round and in some much chilly waters so I think I am a bit acclimated to cooler water then some. Temp then was in the mid 60's. :)

The lake is down 29ft. Man, that’s just nuts.
Windy point shows the avg. lake height as 681, current is showing 652.
I sure hope that it rains this winter, or I am going to start to look harder into gulf diving every couple of months instead for deeper stuff.

I prefer to wear the wetsuit in the summer if the dive is above 52 degrees and I am not in the cold for longer than 15minutes. It’s easier for me to warm up then to fry at the end of the dive. Diving a night helps too. Heck, below 100ft its dark anyways.

While we are on the topic (freeze/fry)- has anyone considered making a suit for Texas lake diving. Something maybe we could adjust?

Ianr33- please advise after the dive what you find sir.

Andrew

Crazyduck:
I sure hope that it rains this winter, or I am going to start to look harder into gulf diving every couple of months instead for deeper stuff.

I prefer to wear the wetsuit in the summer if the dive is above 52 degrees and I am not in the cold for longer than 15minutes. It’s easier for me to warm up then to fry at the end of the dive. Diving a night helps too. Heck, below 100ft its dark anyways.

While we are on the topic (freeze/fry)- has anyone considered making a suit for Texas lake diving. Something maybe we could adjust?

Andrew

Andrew.... you are so right about the sad shape of Travis this year--- :-(

Actually several manufactures make/market a lightwieght drysuit for 'warmer' water diving.

I know that this past weekend with Richards ok the Pinto was attempted to be removed and dropped to deeper waters as a safety concern....I understand the (700lbs. of lift bags---?) were not enough, and she still remains at her roost.

I was at 107 last week or week before. Vis was a couple of feet, but cloudy. Temp was in the mid to upper 60s. Having dove Lake Travis for years, my guess would be the temp is the mid to low 60s at 140. With the current lake level you may have a hard time finding that depth. You can leave your hood pulled back until you break thru the thermocline at 52 feet, then pull it on your head. Just pull the hood back on the way up so you don't fry in the shallow depths. Good luck and have fun.

Crazyduck:

Andrew

After I got out on a dive I flushed helium through my suit until I could get it off, not sure how much of a plecebo affect it had, but it did feel a little better, (a little better as in instead of cooking in a 150 degree suit it felt more like 135)

My idea for an awsome dive trailer would be one with a powerful AC that I could turn down to say 60, suit up, then bust out full speed for water

Back
Top Bottom