Travelpac inflator hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba727

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Dive Rite

My wife just purchased a Travelpac, what length inflator hose would be appropriate for single tank recreational diving? The one supplied looks too long.

Thank you you in advance
Scuba727

Hi Scuba727,
We supply a 22" hose with the TravelPac Sizes Medium-XXL and and a 15" with XS-Small. That should be about right for most single tank divers. But it all comes to what works best with your regulator set up and personal preference.

Thanks,
Jared
Dive Rite

Hi Dive Rite, I just had my OW last week and I am addicted to scuba diving. During the open water, my instructor uses a Dive Rite Travelpac and she seems extremly comfortable when diving and even on the surface.

However, one of my DM friend advised me to get a jacket style instead. He mentioned about thr surface time face down problem. But I didn't see any problem with my instructor. I am extremely interested in the travelpac due to its light weight and the design itself.

Also, from the website, i coudn't find any picture that shows its back plate. Is there any??

no offense, but your DM friend is an idiot and clearly has never used a properly fitted BP/W, that is a rumour of the BP/W's and as someone who has sat in mine at the surface of the ocean for quite a while over the 6 years I've been using a Transpac with Travel wing, I can assure you that it does not flip you over at the surface.

The Travelpac is designed around a modified Transpac, so the backplate is soft fabric and integrated into the wing in a non-modular design. It keeps the cost down but also reduces the units versatility as far as use with doubles and what not. While I like the Travelpac, I wouldn't recommend anyone purchase it. The Hunterpac that DR sells is a much better unit imho and while I wish it was a slightly smaller wing, I think the unit as a whole is superior. Check the Hunterpac out if you want an affordable travel unit if you are flying regularly. If you are not planning on flying, I would recommend going to a SS backplate which cuts about 6lbs of lead off of your weight belt which is nice.

Hi Dive Rite, I just had my OW last week and I am addicted to scuba diving. During the open water, my instructor uses a Dive Rite Travelpac and she seems extremly comfortable when diving and even on the surface.

However, one of my DM friend advised me to get a jacket style instead. He mentioned about thr surface time face down problem. But I didn't see any problem with my instructor. I am extremely interested in the travelpac due to its light weight and the design itself.

Also, from the website, i coudn't find any picture that shows its back plate. Is there any??

Hi Timz

FWIW, my wife and I just returned from a dive trip where she used her Travelpac for the first time. She is a novice diver and had zero issue with regard to surface orientation.

I think for single tank, recreational, warm water diving you will find this will work very nice. Another comment I might add is this product is extremely well made. I wish I bought one!

Best of luck on you decision, there are lots of options to choose from!

Scuba727

Timz,
Welcome to the SCUBA brotherhood!! It really is an awesome sport, and can be very addicting.

The TravelPac is extremely comfortable on dives and because it is a back inflate BC there is no clutter wrapping around your waist. It also has more support than conventional jacket while walking around on the surface.

Back inflate BC's sometimes get a bad wrap from people because they do not float you on the surface like an inner tube, but with proper fit and use of a crotch strap floating on the surface is no problem. The benefit of a back inflate BC is that it is streamlined and helps you maintain optimal horizontal trim.

I'm sorry there is not a pic of the back of the TravelPac on the website but I just took a rough one in the back. Here it is:
IMG_2188.jpg
The TravelPac has a single stainless roller buckle cam strap and a tank height adjustment strap.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Safe Diving,
Jared

Thanks Jared for the quick response. I've went to a dealer in Malaysia yesterday to check out the BCD. Seems light and extremely well built. I was also introduced to the transpac/transplate. The shop owner explained to me abt its pro and cons os each system.

I'm leaning more towards the travelpac due to its simplicity.

However, there are just 3 more things before i confirm the order.

I saw a Dring on the croth strap. What is it for??

How much more stability does the croth strap provides? My instructor didn't use it but she was extremely comfortable on the surface.

And finally, is there any sizing chart for your bcd? I'm stucked with size M and S. Both fits comfortable.

Thanks Jared for the quick response. I've went to a dealer in Malaysia yesterday to check out the BCD. Seems light and extremely well built. I was also introduced to the transpac/transplate. The shop owner explained to me abt its pro and cons os each system.

I'm leaning more towards the travelpac due to its simplicity.

However, there are just 3 more things before i confirm the order.

I saw a Dring on the croth strap. What is it for??

How much more stability does the croth strap provides? My instructor didn't use it but she was extremely comfortable on the surface.

And finally, is there any sizing chart for your bcd? I'm stucked with size M and S. Both fits comfortable.

timz,
The TravelPac is definitely simple and light for travel. Perfect for warm water travel.

The d-ring on the crotch strap can be used to clip off anything you need. In the technical diving community we use it to clip our DPV.

I definitely recommend the crotch strap, it adds a lot to the stability of the rig.It keeps it from moving up during the dive, helping to prevent the tank from hitting you in the head. It also help to keep you floating on your back while on the surface.

There is not much difference between the small and medium TravelPacs. They use the same parts, the only difference is we leave the medium straps 2 inches longer when assembling the harness. Here is a link to the sizing chart though: http://www.diverite.com/downloads/diverite_227.pdf

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Safe Diving,
Jared

Thank you Jared. U've been extremely helpful. It clears off my doubts and I'm pretty sure of my decision now.

only reason to consider the transplate system is if all of your diving is local it gives you a more modular system to transition to doubles down the road and also allows you to drop some weight from the weight belt. Transpac does the same thing, but the cost increase isn't worth it if you are only going to be doing single tank recreational diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom