Traveling to Cozumel with or without passport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajen

Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Cozumel and would like to know if you recommend I get a passport. I would rather not if I don't have to.
I am concerned though that since my birth certificate has my maiden name and my driver's license has my married name, that
this will cause problems. Have any of you experienced any problems with this when traveling?

scubajen once bubbled...
I am concerned though that since my birth certificate has my maiden name and my driver's license has my married name, that
this will cause problems. Have any of you experienced any problems with this when traveling?

I have traveled to Mexico alot over the last ten years (going back in August) and I would say that normally you would have no problem. A certified birth certificate and pictured driver licence is all that you need normally. However, after what has happened in the last few years, that has changed.

Having said that, the passport is a much better way to go. Especially with the name differences on your documents. You may run into trouble getting back into the states. You will also be issued a travel voucher that you must keep with you, in order to leave Mexico.

Have a wonderful holiday, dive safe, dive happy

Enjoy the ride
:mean:

Get the passport. It is worth it.

But if you don't, after checking in with your airline, ask them where to go to get your travel papers. When I travelled on Continential, the check-in area told the passangers they didn't need anything else but a birth certificate and drivers license. When people went to board, the gate agent made them run down to the main terminal and get an affidavit (sp?) from the main desk in order to board.

They almost missed the plane.

Get the passport.

I was just down in Cancun a month ago with a friend with the same issue, her birth cert and drivers license don't match because she is married. She almost didn't get into Mexico!

I have a passport and have never had a problem

Kim

Thanks everyone! My husband and I talked about the passport
issue last night and have decided it would be best to go ahead
and get the passport. We don't want anything to ruin our vacation!!!!

Passports are easy to get and expedite the re-entry process. You made a wise decision.

Have a great time!

Getting a passport makes travel much eaiser. If you decided that you wanted to go the other way, all you should have needed with you in addition to your Birth Certificate and your license is your wedding license (to show your name change).

Enjoy your vacation.

Peace,
Cathie

If you do not have a passport you will need:
1) A government issued photo ID, that has not expired. If you have an expired ID you will be denied boarding.
2)A state issued birth certificate. Not the hospital one w/ footprints. Again, if you have the wrong one-denied boarding.
3)For married women, using their husbands last name, a copy of your marriage license is required.

FYI - these are the requirements of the Mexican government & do not vary by airlines. If the airline sends a passenger without the proper documentation, the Mexican government can deny you entry into their country. They will put you on the next flight back & will fine the airline $10,000

Glad to here your getting a passport. Make sure you bring it to the airport. No joke, I've had people say "My passports at home, I'm going on vacation.

Even when I travel within the U.S., I still take my passport for ID. Never been searched yet while boarding. Besides, it looks more official :). Honestly though, it's good for 10 years and they are relatively easy to get, just make sure that the copy of the birth certificate that you send has a raised seal. A notarized copy of your marriage certificate might help if you go without the passport. I'm not an International Lawyer, but IMHO it'll help fill in the gap, so to speak.

-Frank

When you apply for your passport I believe there is a box on the back of the application to expedite getting the passport back to you. Seems like it can take as long as 6 weeks otherwise. It has been a couple years since I got mine so the memory is a little dusty - just didn't want to you to wait to long to apply.

Becky

Back
Top Bottom