travel with 1st & 2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willrog85086

Reaction score
Still a newbie here...:confused:
My second stages etc. were connected to my first stage at my scuba store when I purchased them. I have since disconnected the hoses from my first stage, added rubber protectors where the hoses connect, and then reconnected the hoses to the first stage. It wasn't difficult. I am wondering why when traveling/flying, the hoses can't be disconnected and the plugs put back into the first stage so possible crimping of the hoses etc. doesn't occur in transit. I know there are regulator bags etc. for protecting the set up, and one must be careful when packing this gear, but the odd "spider-like" shape when everything is connected still seems to invite crimping the hoses. I'm certainly planning to carry this on board the plane, but other passengers (and flight attendants) aren't always respectful of others' property in the overheads when cramming their carry-ons there.

Might want to check with the airlines, I think i heard somewhere that they were not allowing them as a carry on....

Nothing else packs well, why should these be any different...

We used a giant hard shell suitcase for most of the stuff and still needed more room, but it worked great

I always carry mine with me. I've been asked what that was by the airport police but after a brief explanation they let my carry it. I don't see the need to discinnect the 2nd stages from the 1st... but if you prefer i don't see why not.

However, whenever I disconnect a hose, I connect the reg to a pony bottle and check for leaks before diving with it. Anytime you remove a fitting with a gasket (o-ring) there is a possibility it may not seal properly. It would be inconvenient to discover a problem during a dive.

I’ve had no problem carrying me regs with computer attached as carry on to multiple destinations.

Mike

Agree it usually takes only a brief explanation as to what they are.....but....I have found if you put an owners manual or instruction manual and maybe even dive magazine....you get a lot less hassle..

I dont travel wearing a dive t shirt or anything like that because it causes Deltal and US Air to say got dive gear....lets check....ok you owe more travel money....

willrog55318 once bubbled...
Still a newbie here...:confused:
I am wondering why when traveling/flying, the hoses can't be disconnected and the plugs put back into the first stage so possible crimping of the hoses etc. doesn't occur in transit. ....

It's great to see that you take care of your gear and care about how it is handled.

I wouldn't worry too much about kinking the hoses, especially with hose protectors on them. The best thing you can do is get a good reg bag, many of which come with a protective sleeve for the gauges/computer.

Odds are actually better you would have a problem from removing and replacing the hoses and pinching/losing an oring.

Reg hose problems are pretty rare. Even with the abuse rental regs take we rarely see hose problems.

i recently went to the bahamas and carried my reg set up as carry-on and no questions and no hassles.

I carry my reg/computer on in a foam-cushioned small dry box. If the security checker asks to open the case, I ask them to please be careful since it is life-support equipment--this has prompted them to either be gentle with my gear, or a couple times to just wave me on through. (Leave the vent screw open when flying with dryboxes, as the cabin pressure will be changing.)

theskull

GERRY2153 once bubbled...
Might want to check with the airlines, I think i heard somewhere that they were not allowing them as a carry on....

We used a giant hard shell suitcase for most of the stuff and still needed more room, but it worked great
My buddy and I both had no problems carrying on our full reg sets with computers and Helios-9 lightheads. Canisters and batteries were in checked bags.

This was through multiple security checks at LAX, Houston, Ft. Lauderdale, Nassau, and Columbus Isle... both ways, no problems.

As an airline employee, I would think that a reg intact would raise fewer questions through security than one broken down. And, as stated before, leaks are a possibility after reassembly. I carry my reg(assembled and neatly coiled), computer and presc. mask on board with no problems. No airline has questioned it to date. You might want to concern yourself more with your checked bags. Make sure all lights and batteries are packed seperately. If you carry a dive knife mounted to a reg hose, don't forget to pack that in checked baggage too. My buddy forgot. He had all the attention he could handle.

Dive Safe!
Jetwrench

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom