Travel Warning for MX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've read through this whole thread and the attached articles. There is nothing there to justify including Cozumel in the U.S. watch list. Am I missing something?

And you know all this due to your extensive and varied scuba experience.
Maybe she knows it from extensive research and/or friends or family who dive there regularly. Who are you to make seemingly snarky comments? And staff yet...

I refuse to go to Cancun proper. I only fly in and go straight to Playa. I've always thought that Playa was "not like Cancun". I guess I'm wrong.

I hope Coz will stay separate and distinct from the mainland forever.

I refuse to go to Cancun proper. I only fly in and go straight to Playa. I've always thought that Playa was "not like Cancun". I guess I'm wrong.

I hope Coz will stay separate and distinct from the mainland forever.
With rising sea levels it is very likely that Cozumel will stay separate from the mainland for the foreseeable future. :D

No coincidence at all and I don't think it's intended to pretend it's not. Cozumel
Was lumped in with Cancun and Playa del Carmen erroneously and people who don't know any better don't understand that lumping Cozumel in with those cities would be like lumping in any small town USA with any large town USA.
You folks who live there should see about forming a separate state from Quintana Roo maybe? The US state department already went so far as to break listings out to the state level rather than doing it by country like they used to. I don't think the state department could reasonably differentiate small municipalities.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point - you see yourselves as separate. Maybe you are, but you should make it official. Seems like this is not the first time I've seen such a complaint.

If politics in Mexico is anything like politics in the US then politicians who make these decisions should already be directed by business owners. Have you discussed the topic with local politicians? Where I live, I guess it would be city council. Do you have such a thing?

You folks who live there should see about forming a separate state from Quintana Roo maybe? The US state department already went so far as to break listings out to the state level rather than doing it by country like they used to. I don't think the state department could reasonably differentiate small municipalities.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point - you see yourselves as separate. Maybe you are, but you should make it official. Seems like this is not the first time I've seen such a complaint.

If politics in Mexico is anything like politics in the US then politicians who make these decisions should already be directed by business owners. Have you discussed the topic with local politicians? Where I live, I guess it would be city council. Do you have such a thing?

I've heard rumors that the Maya want to secede from Mexico. I think it included all or most of Yucatan or at least Quintana Roo.

The county of Mexico has laws regarding the formation of states that include a minimum population. Cozumel could never become a separate state under present rules. However, the island has always marched to its own drummer. Rules, regulations, customs, and attitudes that are entrenched on the mainland are frequently ignored on Cozumel.

Cozumel has always been a peaceful island. When Juan de Grijalva "discovered" the island in 1518, he was received in a friendly manner, even though everywhere else he went in Mexico he encountered fierce opposition from the Maya who fought him wherever he landed. When Cortes came to Cozumel the next year, he tore down the Maya idols, but they turned the other cheek and helped him fill his boats with food and water before letting him leave peacefully. He even wrote a "letter of recommendation" for the Maya chief to have on hand in case another Spanish expedition came along, so they would know the people of Cozumel were friendly.

I don't know the reason for this peaceful attitude that the inhabitants of the island have always had towards visitors, but it certainly remains a strongly held attitude to this day.

Cozumel is the Mayberry of Mexico, just with a lot more cruise ships.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom