Travel Warning for MX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Currently on the island for the weekend and I spent part of the afternoon on the phone talking down relitives who are coming in November from cancelling due to the travel warning. I calmed them down and they are currently sticking with their schedule.
A lot of novice and occasional travelers are really spooked over this. I love Cozumel and know that the island is safe and the primary issues are on the mainland. Even on the mainland I have not heard of actual violent crimes targeted against tourists but I also realize that all it would take is a couple overt attacks on tourists to devastate the entire region. A kidnapping or residential invation or a bus hijacking / robbery (like the bus to Merida a couple weeks back) involving tourists by petty criminals as opposed to true organized criminals could cripple this entire region.
Acapolco degenerated very quickly and that example is on a lot of people's minds. It may not be fair but Cozumel is unfairly lumped in with the mainland in minds of most people.

It's easy to get spooked but so far my family hasn't read the warning. :) . That's fortunate since my older sister is a travel agent and bugs on me about going to Mexico all the time! I'm not really worried since last time I was there, we stayed in a tiny hotel in a neighborhood and had a great time. We don't stay at big resorts if we don't have to. Scuba Club was great and not noisy or rowdy. As a new diver, it was perfect for me and the staff there is wonderful. So, we're still going on our next trip to Coz. It's just too beautiful there!

Tourists are being targeted in Europe. I will stick with Mexico.
My niece moved to Brussels and was there when the terrorist attack happened. Then she moved to London just in time to be there for that terrorist attack. Sooooo... I'm thinking that Coz will be just fine in comparison.

The governor takes away from guilt

COZUMEL, Aug. 26 .- For now it is not possible to remove the name Cozumel from the warning of the United States, in any case would be a joint work between authorities, businessmen and society, so that the new review has a more encouraging , admits the governor Carlos Joaquin González.
In an interview with the state attorney general regarding this alert that damages not only to Cozumel but to the state of Quintana Roo that until 2015 generated income to the federation by tourism in a 42 percent, responded clearly and recognizing that "it is a subject that there is not a lot of opportunity to negotiate it, nor to talk it with the authorities of the United States, but the most important thing is to generate a whole scheme that comes to give answer to this situation that allows us to leave in the next revision that they do ".
That is to say, in the short term there is no possibility that the US government erases the list to Cozumel, despite the estrangement that business chambers have made in order to achieve such an objective.
Joaquín González said that it is necessary to "generate security, generate actions that improve this condition, and we are going to bring investment, we are going to generate a new tourist product, that is the best way to respond to a topic like that."
Although at least Cancun and Playa del Carmen does not stop the violence, which has reached the eyes of tourists in the hotel zone and Fifth Avenue, respectively.
As he continued, he said that according to that warning "does not restrict travel, he calls attention to American citizens to the increase in intentional homicides in the state."
However, he did not talk about the mechanism to inhibit the escalation of violence in the entity that has touched the Island of the Golondrinas that lives its own problems, reaching several tourists who were victims of robberies, because the authorities let the local delinquency advanced without anyone putting a full stop.

If you follow the news today it's pretty clear what is going on and it has little to do with safe travel in Mexico. Sad it's come to this.

Last edited:
I don't think that exemptions happen quickly, but they do happen. The Cayman Islands petitioned to have their name removed from the Zika Virus travel warning. It took a year of no locally-transmitted cases, but they were removed from the warning.

Geez Gary maybe you should talk your relatives out of going and that would give you more time for lion fish hunting.:eek::topic:
Popped a couple nice ones today, heading home in the AM (hopefully), see you in October.

RCN Sports.

Please take a moment to watch this quick interview video of one of our long time residents Dailene who is also the owner of Cabrilla Sports.

A moment of vulnerability here - Those of you who know my story know that I also came here as a single female with no job and no Spanish 16+ years ago - started my business from nothing 15+ years ago - enjoyed success, had a few very rough years personally which actually included hanging out in the bars at night (still safe) - this also affected business of course, but got my life back on track here, became a Mexican Citizen, and have been vigilantly focused on my business again for the last several years. I still feel safe and love living on the island!

Spread the word and share this video please! It's all true!

RCN Sports.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom