Travel time by road in the keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divesergeant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We might do Marathon Key this September but might want to dive a few days in Islamorada.

How long will it take to make the drive for a morning dive?

I have no idea if traffic is bad in the morning or not, so if someone knows, please clue me in!

We might do Marathon Key this September but might want to dive a few days in Islamorada.

How long will it take to make the drive for a morning dive?

I have no idea if traffic is bad in the morning or not, so if someone knows, please clue me in!
In the morning, traffic going north is less than that going south. It's not terrible; it'll be busy but not congested.

It's doable; I'd leave about an extra 10-15 minutes from the travel time that whatever app you use calls for.

Thanks T.C.

I was going to comment on you being up in the middle of the night like me, then I saw where you are!

Cheers!

I am up with you but only because I have the flu and been sleeping for the last 2 days. :(

Note that if you decide to pop down to Key West that can be a bit less predictable sometimes if there is road construction going on. Not sure about that this year, you will want to check the estimated duration for that separately.

Thanks T.C.

I was going to comment on you being up in the middle of the night like me, then I saw where you are!

Cheers!
Still, almost time for bed here too. Been here before?

Google Earth says it's a 30 mile drive (roughly) If there isn't construction or an accident; it's probably about a 45 minute drive depending on speed zones. That far down the islands, the traffic will probably be more regular in the mornings.

Probably depends a little bit on exactly where you are staying on Marathon but i used to camp in Curry Hammock state park on the north (or east) side of Marathon and drive to Conch Republic on Tavernier, which is a little further than you're going. I left 45 minutes before check in time and was always early

Still, almost time for bed here too. Been here before?

Google Earth says it's a 30 mile drive (roughly) If there isn't construction or an accident; it's probably about a 45 minute drive depending on speed zones. That far down the islands, the traffic will probably be more regular in the mornings.

Never been there...yet! So many places to see....

I'm figuring on allowing an hour for travel. Should do the trick.

Note that if you decide to pop down to Key West that can be a bit less predictable sometimes if there is road construction going on. Not sure about that this year, you will want to check the estimated duration for that separately.

Ket West is on our list to visit, too. Probably not to dive, but to hang out and see the people!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom