Travel Miles Credit Card Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For the foreseeable future, I am planning on doing at least 2 dive trips a year. I have a CC that earns basic points but am thinking I may want to switch to one that is more geared towards travel rewards points. I have looked at the different airline specific cards, some of which offer free checked bag allowances that would basically pay for the annual fee, but I can't guarantee I will be using that particular airline for any given trip. What credit cards are you folks using that are recommended?

I have the United CC. I have been using United for a long time and I am a Million Miler so I have lifetime benefits. I also live at one of United hubs so flights are easy to arrange.

You need to look at which airlines flies to locations you want to visit along with the associated cost of the flights. American and Delta have higher cost from my location than United.

For the foreseeable future, I am planning on doing at least 2 dive trips a year. I have a CC that earns basic points but am thinking I may want to switch to one that is more geared towards travel rewards points. I have looked at the different airline specific cards, some of which offer free checked bag allowances that would basically pay for the annual fee, but I can't guarantee I will be using that particular airline for any given trip. What credit cards are you folks using that are recommended?
Reddit.com/r/churning/wiki

If you live in the PNW, it's hard to beat the Alaska Airlines card. Their partner list is extensive and the miles required for a trip is very usually very reasonable. FWIW, I was able to get tickets PDX -- Jakarta -- PDX (Business) for about 130K miles. IIRC, coach was only 80K miles

Rob, The PointsGuy website has lots of information on the airline loyalty programs and their associated credit cards, as well as non-specific cards. I feel like unless you default toward one airline, then the airline-specific cards are of limited value. I've been captive to Delta for years--decades, actually--and the SkyMiles cards have been useful. But otherwise, and especially if you frequent Costco, the Citi co-brand with Costco has a good rebate/rewards program which usually nets us more than enough in a year to make up for any incidentals on an airline. I happened to pull up my Costco card terms this morning, and it's 2% on Costco purchases, 4% on gasoline purchases, 3% on "eligible travel purchases worldwide," which did well for us for Bonaire and Central/South America trips (also good Delta markets).

Rob, The PointsGuy website has lots of information on the airline loyalty programs and their associated credit cards, as well as non-specific cards. I feel like unless you default toward one airline, then the airline-specific cards are of limited value. I've been captive to Delta for years--decades, actually--and the SkyMiles cards have been useful. But otherwise, and especially if you frequent Costco, the Citi co-brand with Costco has a good rebate/rewards program which usually nets us more than enough in a year to make up for any incidentals on an airline. I happened to pull up my Costco card terms this morning, and it's 2% on Costco purchases, 4% on gasoline purchases, 3% on "eligible travel purchases worldwide," which did well for us for Bonaire and Central/South America trips (also good Delta markets).
Yeah for now I was planning on using the Costco card unless I find something better.

If you live in the PNW, it's hard to beat the Alaska Airlines card. Their partner list is extensive and the miles required for a trip is very usually very reasonable. FWIW, I was able to get tickets PDX -- Jakarta -- PDX (Business) for about 130K miles. IIRC, coach was only 80K miles
John, when you say partner list, are you saying that I could get points even if I travelled somewhere where Alaska doesn't fly? Or would there be a need to have at least one leg of the trip be on Alaska?

John, when you say partner list, are you saying that I could get points even if I travelled somewhere where Alaska doesn't fly? Or would there be a need to have at least one leg of the trip be on Alaska?
None of the legs need to be on Alaska. My wife and I were able to take a long delayed trip to Europe, PDX -- LHR -- PDX entirely on British Airlines

None of the legs need to be on Alaska. My wife and I were able to take a long delayed trip to Europe, PDX -- LHR -- PDX entirely on British Airlines
Look up oneworld and star alliance. They are the 2 major airline "clubs" in North America. In general you can redeem airline points for flights on any affiliated airline. You can also get credit for flights flown on those airlines.

If you only travel a few times a year, it may not make sense to worry about airline "status" and simply focus on earning as many points as posssible.

If you fly regularly then airline status becomes a consideration as higher status get you bonus like free baggage, early seat selection, upgrade credits, lounge access, larger flight access for redemption and lower redemption charges.

1. Where do you live?
2. Where do you anticipate most of these dive trips going?
3. What credit cards and/or bank are you using now?
4. How far into this are you mentally willing to go? Are you looking to add one new card for everything or are you looking to maximize things with 3-4 cards.
5. Do you own any businesses?

You mentioned Costco Citi. Costco is a very nice no-annual fee credit card with a good rewards structure, however it is strictly a cash back (annual rebate check) card and doesn't accumulated miles/points.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom