Travel Miles Credit Card Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This also reminds me that some plans have (used to have?) points that expire and dissapear if not used. The original AirMiles plan in Canada had that feature. Basically made it useless as it was only possible to accumulate enough points for something as trivial as a cheap clock radio before your old points started to age out and dissapear. Not a very useful loyalty program.

Alternately your complete account may expire if you do not remain "active". An Air Canada Aeroplan account will expire if it remains inactive for over 18 months. All your points dissapear. Not a real big deal as all you have to do to be active is charge something on your Aeroplan credit card.

If you are playing the long game and intend to collect and keep points for later in life, be sure to be aware of possible expiration policies.
United miles never expire. At least, that’s what they claim. I have over two million. I donate miles to the Make a Wish Foundation every year.

United miles never expire. At least, that’s what they claim. I have over two million. I donate miles to the Make a Wish Foundation every year.
If you have a United card, and the only flight available somewhere is on another airline, and you charge it to the United VISA, do you still get miles toward a future United flight?

Also, I see that some of the United cards give free check on bag allowance. Do you know if any of them give any boarding order preference?

If you have a United card, and the only flight available somewhere is on another airline, and you charge it to the United VISA, do you still get miles toward a future United flight?

A: Yes. Miles earned based on spending go into your MileagePlus account. Not nearly as effeciently as using the cc for that specific airline though. If I have to fly another airline, it’s always booked “through” United as a codeshare.

Also, I see that some of the United cards give free check on bag allowance.

A: I get 3 free 70lb bags. Depending on the card, (and the annual fee), they do give free bag allowances.

Do you know if any of them give any boarding order preference?

A: Yes: At minimum, Group 2. Those lines are long these days.

I also get two free United Club passes with my card which are useless to me as a member but make great gifts!

A: Yes. Miles earned based on spending go into your MileagePlus account. Not nearly as effeciently as using the cc for that specific airline though. If I have to fly another airline, it’s always booked “through” United as a codeshare.

Also, I see that some of the United cards give free check on bag allowance.

A: I get 3 free 70lb bags. Depending on the card, (and the annual fee), they do give free bag allowances.

Do you know if any of them give any boarding order preference?

A: Yes: At minimum, Group 2. Those lines are long these days.

I also get two free United Club passes with my card which are useless to me as a member but make great gifts!
You need to be very careful about separating "airline status" from earning miles.

Some "airline credit cards" give you some sort of status. Others do not. Aeroplan credit cards in Canada provide zero status. Air Canada only grants status based upon miles flown that you paid for. Redemption flights do not count towards status.

So check your credit card agreement to find out what you get "for free"-ish.

You need to be very careful about separating "airline status" from earning miles.

Some "airline credit cards" give you some sort of status. Others do not. Aeroplan credit cards in Canada provide zero status. Air Canada only grants status based upon miles flown that you paid for. Redemption flights do not count towards status.

So check your credit card agreement to find out what you get "for free"-ish.

I’m really only interested in upgrades. When I get to 3M status with United, that’s game over. I could care less about miles - disposable swag that I don’t use. Flights using mileage don’t earn status - only use them for upgrades. And then I carefully choose class of ticket to maximise PQPs.

Years ago I used to take round-trip one day flights in December from EWR to LAX just to ensure I made Continental annual goals. Those were the days when miles mattered more than price. Not so easy these days.

I’m really only interested in upgrades. When I get to 3M status with United, that’s game over. I could care less about miles - disposable swag that I don’t use. Flights using mileage don’t earn status - only use them for upgrades. And then I carefully choose class of ticket to maximise PQPs.

Years ago I used to take round-trip one day flights in December from EWR to LAX just to ensure I made Continental annual goals. Those were the days when miles mattered more than price. Not so easy these days.
Getting a free upgrade for a really long international flight would be awesome.

Agreed. Upgrades and other benefits are all about airline status. Something that very few people have access to as it is limited to air warriors. A very small part of the population.

For Air Canada useful status starts to kick in at 50,000 miles flown (per year) with the top level granted after 100,000 miles flown.

Not something the OP needs to worry about just yet..

Wife and I have 2 Amex Platinum cards and 1 Gold card. They were easy to jump on with the 150,000 points each, but at 100,000 and $695 per, it's a little harder. Might be good to wait for the bigger points at a later time. Booking flights through ANA is the way to go. Though a little stressful waiting the 36 hrs for the points to move over and hoping the flights are still available. So far have 2 round trip business class tickets on PAL to Bohol and 2 round trip tickets to Queentown NZ and over to Sydney (combined Air NZ and United) and back home. ANA is not only good for the points needed, but let's you do open jaw trips on multiple airlines.

Will dive into Chase, Citi and Capital One next.

Also, I see that some of the United cards give free check on bag allowance. Do you know if any of them give any boarding order preference?
I am pretty confident every major airline card except for Jetblue give a version of priority boarding if the card comes with an annual fee. May not be the best priority, but will be better than the average pion.

Don't confuse people who fly a lot and and have status with credit card spending. You aren't traveling enough and it doesn't appear you are spending enough for it to be relevant. If you get an airline specific card you should be doing it for perks such as free checked bag and priority boarding, not looking to put all your spending on the card.

Depending on your spending levels and desire for priority pass and travel insurance, a Chase Sapphire Preferred/Reserve with a Freedom Flex Unlimited would be a two card combo that would cover all your bases. You could transfer the point earned to united if you wanted, but depending on flight you would be better off using the points through Chase's travel portal/statement credit rather than transferring directly to united.

If you are looking for just one card that would give you decent points, priority pass, reasonable annual fee, decent travel protection than I would look at the Capital One Venture X. Annual Fee is $400, but with $300 in travel credit and a 10,000 point bonus every anniversary year it is essentially a $0 annual fee card. $100 Global Citizen credit would put you net ahead.

Another option to possibly look at is Citi Premier. Has an annual fee of $95 and doesn't have priority pass, but it has a good sign up bonus (80,0000 after 4k in spend) and earns 3X Thank You points on Gas, Food, Travel, Supermarkets. Biggest benefit here is earning 3X on so many everyday expenses--some people just really don't want to deal with the hassle of using 2 or 3 different cards to maximize their earn rates. I prefer being in the Chase eco system, but I sign up for this card every few years for the signup bonus. It's not a bad option since you already have a citi account.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom