Travel Miles Credit Card Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry not really going to answer your question specifically. If you are an international traveler, i highly recommend getting a Charles Schwab account. It's free and you can put money in it. Then you can use the card to grab cash via ATM anywhere in the world.
Here's the kicker, they will pay off any additional fees the ATM charges. So you'll always have the best rate for cash. No annual fee card.

I don't have an airline credit card because I'm not loyal to any specific airline- I'll buy the flight with the most convenient layover and times and that varies for every trip. I'm also based in DC so can easily fly out of 3 different airports with a plethora of airlines to choose from.

I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card which has a $550 annual fee but comes with $300 in statement credits for travel (I typically have spent this by February) and Priority Pass lounge access (I use this on every trip) so the fee is worth that alone. It also comes with trip insurance and credit for global entry application fee. You earn 3x points on travel and dining and 5x points on flights booked through the Chase portal. Point redeemed through the portal are worth 1.5 points. You can also transfer points to travel partners but I've never really looked into that.

I don't have an airline credit card because I'm not loyal to any specific airline- I'll buy the flight with the most convenient layover and times and that varies for every trip. I'm also based in DC so can easily fly out of 3 different airports with a plethora of airlines to choose from.

I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card which has a $550 annual fee but comes with $300 in statement credits for travel (I typically have spent this by February) and Priority Pass lounge access (I use this on every trip) so the fee is worth that alone. It also comes with trip insurance and credit for global entry application fee. You earn 3x points on travel and dining and 5x points on flights booked through the Chase portal. Point redeemed through the portal are worth 1.5 points. You can also transfer points to travel partners but I've never really looked into that.
Check out the Chase Freedom Unlimited and get 1.5 points on other purchase, then transfer the points to you Sapphire before redeeming. Works like a champ

Check out the Chase Freedom Unlimited and get 1.5 points on other purchase, then transfer the points to you Sapphire before redeeming.
2 credit cards seems like a lot to manage but it may be worth it! I'll have to do the math. Thanks for the tip!

Congratulations! You're on your way to free travel by playing the points and miles game! All the previous posts have great info. An airline-specific credit card can be restrictive because you are tied to earning miles with that airline. Note, also, that in the very recent months, many airlines have devalued their award programs by raising the miles required for an award flight. They've also gone away from standardized award charts to dynamic award redemptions based on distance, demand, etc., just like it is when you buy a ticket for cash. Alaska Airlines is one of the last holdouts that is giving in to this change and will be implementing a new awards system that is not to the customer's benefit in the near future. At least, that's the buzz in the travel blogs.

The higher the annual fee for all cards, the more benefits you get and the higher bonus earnings on spending. Most airline credit cards will give you 2X the miles spent on that airline's products and only 1 mile for everything else. If you have a high annual fee card, that may be increased to 3X and 2X, respectively.

For a broader choice of redemptions, you can get a family of branded cards such as Chase, Capital One, or American Express. Citi is not as popular, as their bonuses for initial sign-up are low compared to the other three. Be aware of the 5/24 rule with Chase. This article from The Points Guy is a great resource and explains the 5/24 rules. TPG beginners guide: Everything you need to know about points, miles, airlines and credit cards - The Points Guy
If this link doesn't work, the article was written on 1/1/21.

Here's another resource. Points Navigator: Best Credit Card For Points
and Current point transfer bonuses

You can accelerate your earnings by adding an authorized user to your account, or your partner/significant other can open their own account to receive their own bonus offer by opening a new account. For instance, last year, I acquired the Chase Ink Business Preferred and Chase Sapphire a few months apart (to protect my credit score) and each had a 100,000 bonus for signing up and spending X amount of $ in X amount of months. At the end of the spend requirement, I had a starting balance of 200,000 in my family of Chase cards, not counting the points that have been earned from spending alone.

The Costco Citi Visa is great for getting a year-end check. I think of it as a contribution to the vacation fund. With 4% cash back for gas, 3% for travel, 2% for Costco purchases, it adds up. Plus, if you're an Executive member, you'll receive an additional 2% on Costco purchases. If you use Costco Travel, that is also eligible for the additional 2% back, although, I wouldn't recommend using Costco Travel at the moment because they are having severe staffing problems, and I have discontinued using them for now.

Getting a free upgrade for a really long international flight would be awesome.
I don’t think anyone gets free upgrades anymore. You can pay or use points, but it’s better to use the points for free flights. We use the AmEx Delta card and get free flights, plus a free companion ticket every year. Even so, we still have to pay to get seat upgrades.

I don’t think anyone gets free upgrades anymore. You can pay or use points, but it’s better to use the points for free flights. We use the AmEx Delta card and get free flights, plus a free companion ticket every year. Even do, we still have to pay to get seat upgrades.
Air Canada provides a set of free upgrade credits as you hit Aeroplan status mileage thresholds each year. But you need to pay to fly to attain the status thresholds to get the free upgrade credits. So this is about flying and gaining status as opposed to making purchases on your credit card.

Since they are status related these credits do expire at the end of the next status year if you have not used them.

Similar to redeeming a reward flight you may be limited in your ability to use the upgrade credits.

I was thinking the free checked bag would basically pay for the annual fee of some airline cards but that's only if I use that particular airline so that may not be a good assumption. The more I read here, the more I think just using my Costco card might be the way to go if I'm only doing a couple trips a year.

The first year on airline cards is typically free. Cancel prior to renewal if you don't feel the value is there.

One thing to note is any new card will impact your credit report somewhat. It may go up or down depending on your particular situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom