Travel Insurance Heads Up (Allianz)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently had a bad experience with travel insurance, my issue was with Allianz which has operated under different names (including Access America) in the past. I don't know if my issues are just with that company or a general issue.

Many travel professionals recommend travel insurance for expensive vacations in case of cancellations. This seems wise and if you are dealing with reasonable people it probably is good. Insurance companies however work to collect payments and pay out as little as possible. If you run into one less than honorable, you are screwed.

In this case our church planned a trip arranged via a travel agent (not Scuba, but group travel). We purchased the insurance and then had to cancel to to my wife's medical conditions. In the mean time, the travel agent will not return phone calls (screen all incoming calls), nor email nor certified letters (3 month time span)

I filed a claim with Allianz and they have refused to pay up and we are out $600 plus the $244 for for the insurance. Not the end of the world, it could have been a lot worse. Here is what I have learned.

1) If you have preexisting medical conditions, you must purchase the insurance at the time of deposit or it will be denied. I read the policy and did this.

2) Should you make a claim, they will barrage you for documentation. Example, even though I only made a claim for the deposit, I had to show them airline tickets. The list of required documents filled an entire page.

3) If the claim is medically related, you have to show them detailed, personal medical information (I did).

4) Where I got hung up on is this travel agent will not communicate with individuals, only the group leader. Although I have a receipt for the deposit, it does not say nonrefundable deposit. Without this, Allianz will not pay the claim. They will not pursue direct contact with the travel agent nor will they pay up of the agent never responds.

5) Small claims court is worthless to purse for this type of claim in Texas, since the insurance company is out-of-state.

6) I am going to try the credit card rout to see if they can reverse , but since its been 8 months since I made the deposit I am not sure that will pan out.

My advice is before you purchase travel insurance, check them out carefully. Best case would be to talk to someone who has gone through the claim process with the travel insurance company to make sure you know they will deal with you honorably. The contacts are written to their advantage and some will take advantage to you and as an individual dealing with an out of state company you have little recourse should they decide no to pay up.

If you have any idea how I can pursue this or additional advice, please chime in.

That's frustrating. It seems to me that while the insurance company isn't making it easy for you, the real problem is the travel agent who will not produce the documentation you need to turn in to support your claim. Why isn't your church group leader helping you contact the booking agent? You've got several people letting you down here, and the insurance agency is only the last of a whole string......

That's frustrating. It seems to me that while the insurance company isn't making it easy for you, the real problem is the travel agent who will not produce the documentation you need to turn in to support your claim. Why isn't your church group leader helping you contact the booking agent? You've got several people letting you down here, and the insurance agency is only the last of a whole string......

True, the mess started with the travel agent. I am pursing the travel agent by disputing the charge with the credit card company for the deposit. This is where is gets difficult, I was told verbally the deposit was nonrefundable up front, so morally I have some hesitations about the dispute, because I am asking for something I was not promised (a refund). Of course all I really need is the travel agent to put in writing I am not getting my deposit back (which was the verbal agreement), then the insurance company says it will sign off. The church leader is like a deer in the headlights......

The lesson I learned is travel insurance is very specific what it will cover, you have to document the heck out of everything and you cannot rely on the company to do the right thing just because you are out some money. Kinda of like relying on you standard medical insurance to cover a diving accident abroad. In theory its a good idea, in practice, no so good......

That sounds like a clever way to go about it. Don't worry about the morals of the issue--you don't actually intend to go back on your verbal agreement but only to get the travel agent to state in writing to the credit card company that the deposit was non-refundable. Hopefully that will satisfy the insurance company.

Going through the same crap myself with the travel insurance through Expedia booked airline tickets. What a scam. They want access to my medical records, phone numbers of any doctor I have seen, and want to verify that it was not pre-existing to booking. Well, honestly, it was pre-existing but I did not KNOW how serious. And access to my medical records. BS. No effing way. So we are going to be out the $60 for the insurance, plus the $150pp cancellation fee with the airline. Luckily, the airline says they will give us a voucher for the remainder. I feel duped and angry. Its bad enough having a medical issue arise which causes you to cancel a dive trip... but the fallout afterwards makes me want to strangle someone!!!

robin

Hi Robin,

Sorry to hear misery loves company. Hope you are recovering from whatever hit you.

Grump, get the Texas Insurance Department involved if not too much trouble. Insurance companies hate to hear from them.

I had a similar issue with my trip agent not supplying info for my claim, but I got back another way. :wink:

Grump, get the Texas Insurance Department involved if not too much trouble. Insurance companies hate to hear from them.

I had a similar issue with my trip agent not supplying info for my claim, but I got back another way. :wink:

I called the credit card company I paid the deposit with and they in turn contacted the travel agent. That seems to have provided the encouragement required for the travel agent to provide the documentation. Now I have given the insurance company everything they asked for. Thanks for the idea about the TID, I will use that if needed.

I called the credit card company I paid the deposit with and they in turn contacted the travel agent. That seems to have provided the encouragement required for the travel agent to provide the documentation. Now I have given the insurance company everything they asked for. Thanks for the idea about the TID, I will use that if needed.

Dear Sir,
I’m Sarah from the Allianz Global Assistance Help Team. I am very sorry that your wife’s medical condition prevented you from going on your dive and understand if you feel that the claims process is extensive, but we do need the specified documentation in order to properly investigate your claim. In this public forum I am unable to collect your personal information to understand the exact details of your case, but should you have additional questions on the outcome of your claim, please call our customer service line at 1-800-419-8016. Once again, I am sorry about your cancelled trip.

Regards,
Sarah, Help Team

Hi All,
I responded to Sarah with the details in a PM. I gotta give her a couple of points for reaching out and a few days to sort things. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Doug

Back
Top Bottom