Travel Dive Bag Sale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmurray:
Good idea. Im guessing that most of the time it wouldn't be an issue when checking in at the counter, as long as I'm not pushing the weight restriction. Paying the skycap would make it easier all around.

Actually, they are paying attention now at the counter. Gas (autogas) went up to $3 bucks per gallon. Jet Fuel went up also. The more weight you have the more jet Fuel you have to burn and Jet Fuel is the airlines biggest expense. So they are making agents pay attention to weighing the bags now. They also have lowered the per bag weight to 50 pounds. It used to be 75 pounds allowed (Domestic travel). (They still allow 75 on onverseas I think).

They have always weighed the bags. When you put them on the little passthrough at the counter, the bottom of that passthrough is a scale and weighs it.

Since gas prices went up, they are actually making you pay for the extra weight a lot more than they did in the past. I've been "caught" several times at the counter. The SKYCAP system takes care of not getting caught.

Besides the SKYCAP, one other tip is to carry an nylon duffle bag that folds up and an extra TSA lock. If you're overweight, you simply move some of your stuff into that nylon bag and you're under the weight limit (per bag). You can carry 2 bags checked per person, so if you're flying with your spouse, it's unlikely you'll have 4 checked bags and therefore it's not a big deal to convert one with the nylon duffel bag.

Still the SKYCAP $$$ tip is the easier way. (Remember the SKYCAP is not an airline employee, so he doesn't have a "vested interest" in making sure the airline gets their bag fee. He has a "vested interest" in making sure he gets HIS fee/tip ).

Nice "tip" but what happens with multi-flights and connections where you are on several airlines and returning?

They never re-weigh the bags. Or if they do, they don't come hunt you down in the concourse and say "I want my $2 dollars!". The average ramp worker isn't going to stop hauling bags to fidget over a bag that's 10 pounds overweight. Cause he still has to haul the other bags. It adds work to his schedule and puts him behind and then the boss-man comes down on him.

I've flown before on multi airlines and never had that problem. (Of course they were all the same airline that "code shared". But if they don't code share, you a lot of the time have to claim your bags and re-check them.)

Now if you're flying some 3rd world airline through central America, all bets are off. But you've got other concerns there.... like if your bags will even get there!.

So do you guys check this bag or do you use it as a carry on? I see some pretty huge carry ons when I fly but I am not a frequent flyer.

Also watch out if any leg of your service uses a turbo prop or regional jet. They claim to hold 50 people and they do but not with luggage and full load of fuel. If the plane is overweight then they will off load fuel and luggage until they acheive weight and balance. If your luggage gets off loaded they do not tell you. This happened to me over the holidays this year. US Airways off loaded fuel because it was a short flight and Delta off loaded my luggage because it was a long one. That is why I prefer to carry on luggage now.

that bag, defintely is not a carry-on. it's HUGE.

DanBMW:
Nice "tip" but what happens with multi-flights and connections where you are on several airlines and returning?

BTW, Very nice bag and thanks for the discount. Wish I was in the market.

Obviously, I'm not the expert, but I would think that once your luggage has been checked, you shouldn't have to worry about it being measured. The return flight may require it being checked in with the skycap again.

I decided to take the gamble and order one of these.

Really depends upon where you are flying and the connections. We have had bags re-checked and weighed when leaving the US and returning. Some get charged extra and some not. Seems to be random. We actually had to re-check bags on a flight that simply stopped and then re boarded. Had to claim baggage and go through the x ray machine again too, even though we remained in the boarding area. I just hate to try to slip anything by because occasionally you get caught and it could really mess up a trip. This mostly applies outside of the US with smaller flight connections.

I still feel that it is a great bag deal, I just wouldn't try to carry extra weight. Seems like bags gain weight on my trip too. Must be the water.

too big for me.....i do not check my gear. i take it all in a carry-on(except fins)....i can buy more clothes,toothepaste and pit-stick once i get to my destination. but, i am not gonna worry about my gear ending up lost or somewhere other than where i am!!

One thing that happened to me post 9-11 was that I tipped the skcap 10 dollars or so, hoping he wouldn't get me charged the 80 for an extra checked bag (It was a very light, yet awkward mermaid tail, in a saddle bag). Well, he did not. On the runway, they stopped the plane, announced my name and came and asked me how I managed to get an extra bag on the plane without it being accounted for. A little embarrassing. I have had to realize that post 9-11, things are different.

catherine96821:
One thing that happened to me post 9-11 was that I tipped the skcap 10 dollars or so, hoping he wouldn't get me charged the 80 for an extra checked bag (It was a very light, yet awkward mermaid tail, in a saddle bag). Well, he did not. On the runway, they stopped the plane, announced my name and came and asked me how I managed to get an extra bag on the plane without it being accounted for. A little embarrassing. I have had to realize that post 9-11, things are different.

that was just them being paranoid.... nothing to be embarrased about.

If you want to talk about them pulling your bag and it being embarrasing, there was an article in the paper here about a "suspicous bag" on the plane. The airline employes heard a 'buzzing noise' from the bag and pulled it from the plane and set it on the tarmac. Then the police and fire squads proceeded to investigate the bag. Of course everyone on the plane was stuck to the windows watching and one woman identified that bag as hers and announced it loudly in the plane. The "investigating" went on for several minutes with the woman saying "I wonder why they have my bag out?"

Finally they pulled the buzzing item out of the bag and held it up for all the "investigators" to see. it was very easily identified as an "adult toy". (don't want to get too specific here as not to exceed the TOS, but I think everyone gets the idea).

Everyone on the ground and the plane got a good laugh out of it. Of course except the woman. I'm sure she was laughed at pretty good. She was so embarrased that she left the plane and didn't continue on the flight.

Talk about embarrasing huh?

later there was a follow up article where she was suing the airline for "invasion of her privacy" and embarrasing her. Want to talk about more embarrasing... now that it was a lawsuit and public record, they published her name in the paper this time.

mike_s:
I've got the "oversized" and "overweight" bag problem solved.

Use the SKYCAPS at the curb to check your bag.

This works well right to the point it does not.

What I mean is that curb side is not available for all airlines, and especially may not be available for international checkin.

Showing up at the airport with an oversized or overweight bag assuming that you can slip it by is kinda asking for issues.

This is not a comment on this bag, but more of a general comment on assumptions made during travel.

Back
Top Bottom