Travel Dive Bag Sale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
This works well right to the point it does not.

What I mean is that curb side is not available for all airlines, and especially may not be available for international checking.

Showing up at the airport with an oversized or overweight bag assuming that you can slip it by is kinda asking for issues.

This is not a comment on this bag, but more of a general comment on assumptions made during travel.

Just to be safe, carry with you another bag that takes up little space (rip stop nylon is what I use) in case your main bag is too heavy and you need to quickly offload and hand carry. These bags weigh almost nothing and take up little space. We carry these on all trips for the extras that accumulate and the variations in airport scales. Some airports seem to add a few pounds and use it as a profit center!

I guess I worry more about the total dimensions thing than overweight bag. Mine is
36x15x15 unstuffed..66"...2" over. Do they take a tape measure to it and measure?

Agggg just checked...4" over...now do I panic? Buy new bags...(I have been lusting after the new drop bottom rolling duffle...But it weighs 11 lbs by itself...)

well i got this bag to replace my old one its a smidge smaller and i never had a problem with the old one flying

Also, when you use a skycap, make sure he has the right tags on your baggage. When a skycap checked my bags, I figured this was much easier than waiting in line at the counter until I got to my destination to find no bags arrived with me. The skycap had tagged my bags with the wrong tags and sent them to a place with similar airport codes as my destination. Now I always look at the tags and make sure they're for the right airport.

Last year when traveling from Cleveland they skycap picked up my bags and tagged them. Then when he picked up my friend's bag, he paused a moment, then placed her bag on the scale. He proceeded to charge her the $25 overweight fee on the spot. He was able to charge her credit card right there. (it was 10 pounds overweight). This was a Continental flight but apparently those skycaps do check the weight - at least if the bag feels heavy to them.

adjuster-jd:
Last year when traveling from Cleveland they skycap picked up my bags and tagged them. Then when he picked up my friend's bag, he paused a moment, then placed her bag on the scale. He proceeded to charge her the $25 overweight fee on the spot. He was able to charge her credit card right there. (it was 10 pounds overweight). This was a Continental flight but apparently those skycaps do check the weight - at least if the bag feels heavy to them.

That all depends on the airport and the airline they are checking bags for. They won't go out of their way to have to charge extra, like sending you to the counter.

Most Skycaps aren't always airline specific or don't have the credit card machine there, or basically don't want to screw with it which might mess up their tip.
I'd say any chane of them charging you is slim.

I've had them note my bag was overweight before and not charge me.

I am looking for a bag that can carry cold water gear for both my wife and I. This bag looks like it can handle it. But the problem is like everyone has mentioned is the size of this bag not meeting the Airline baggage requirements. Its over by 2 inches and I am not much of a person trusting the sky cap and going that route. I would much rather check the bag in myself and watch it go down the conveyor belt.

This is what gets me about the airlines. 50 lb and 62 inch restriction. So I go and get two bags (one for me and one for my wife). They are 55 inhes and now I will pack the bags to the gills for, lets say 40 lbs. Two bags for a total of 110 inches and 80 lbs vs one bag at about 55 lbs and 64 inches. A difference of 25 lbs and 46 inches. I am taking up more space and more weight with the two damn bags.

The dilema I have is, should I buy two smaller bags at $95 ea (TUSA BP 2) or this EDGE bag for $85 and take a chance of getting charged extra for either an overweight bag and/or over sized bag. The over sized charge I think is $80!

For you husband wife divers - are you guys carrying one bag with both your gear (taking the chance of getting your bag to slip through) or two separate bags (to have the guarantee of meeting the baggage requirements)????

Advice and/or suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks,

KB Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom