Travel BPW Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never understood toting about a heavy stainless (double tank) plate when a couple of cam band pouches accomplish the same thing with the supplied weights at most destinations.
Honestly, I haven't really noticed the few pounds of my backplate through my travels. Thats with all my dive gear as carry on (except fins and wetsuit). I also think my current laptop weighs more than my plate.

I guess none of you guys have camera gear?
I would probably care about bp weight if I traveled with that much camera gear :wink:

I travel with camera and video gear in the same bag and the housing, tray and lights in another bag. Though its only a small rx100 setup but I have been happy with the results so far.
And not to enter the argument of jettison-able ballast yet again, but without exposure protection or minimal protection and no ballast to dump, I would be negative on the surface with a failed BC wing. That is okay with some folks but not me.

James

I always carry redundant buoyancy and I drink lots of beer and tequila for added bouyancy value....

Attachments

• octo.JPG
    octo.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 40
I always carry redundant buoyancy and I drink lots of beer and tequila for added bouyancy value....

I am going to try that and see if it helps :wink:.

James

I have a generic hardshell carryon that fits within dimension regs. I fit my regulator, mask, and wetsuit in the top half and my boots, BPW, and a thing or two in the bottom half. Computer stays with me in my personal item backpack, and my fins go in my checked bag. Don't have a bunch of photography toys, so YYMV.

Pretty much as light and compact as it comes.
And extremely difficult to remove in an emergency. Would need to slice the straps and let the rig sink to the bottom.

And extremely difficult to remove in an emergency. Would need to slice the straps and let the rig sink to the bottom.
I’m not seeing how it’s much different than a typical BP/W when it comes to donning and doffing. What am I missing?

Erik

I’m not seeing how it’s much different than a typical BP/W when it comes to donning and doffing. What am I missing?

Erik
The buckle on the waist strap is covered by the crotch strap, perhaps he didn't see it.

Thanks everyone. I currently have a HOG aluminum plate and 32lb wing with STA and integrated weight pockets. I've only been into diving for a year so I was just curious if there were lighter set ups for traveling. I always carry my regs, masks, and computer in my carry on or book bag under my seat. The rest on my gear goes in a check bag. I don't worry about weights since most places provide them. For a diving only trip I'm not worried about what I take so much since it's diving only. This would be more for trips where I want to get a couple dives in during a work trip or vacation etc. but not diving the whole time.

I currently have a HOG aluminum plate and 32lb wing with STA
Losing the STA would lighten up things, assuming your plate & wing have holes for tank bands. Trim pockets on the upper cam band allow addition of lead at the destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom