Travel BCs budget $450

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to throw my 2cents into this discussion. I didn't take the time to read all seven pages of this thread, so if I'm saying something duplicate, I'm sorry.

Dive Shop

Go to a dive shop with a pool. Make them let you test-dive the BC. If you are buying other gear, they will be doubly interested in keeping your business. It doesn't much matter how they feel while standing around (even with a tank attached). It matters how they feel in the water.

Type of BC

Back-inflating (not BP/W) vests are usually smaller, lighter, and easier to pack. The bladder on these vests are, as implied, on the back near the tank. They tend to push you onto your face a little when floating on the surface. You have to expect this, and then compensate. Some find it easy, others are annoyed by it. I prefer to do surface-swims with my face in the water (snorkel or regulator in mouth), or sometimes swim on my back. Others may disagree, but I also find these back-inflate BC to help your stability (not roll as easy) under water.

A side-inflating vest can be small too, but generally run more bulky than a back-inflator. The bladder on these vests are on the side of BC, the part that wraps around your ribs and waist. Packing one of these in a suitcase can be more difficult, but manageable. Floating on the surface is more relaxed, as it tends to support you in a more upright attitude. I don't have as much time using one, so I will abstain for commenting about swimming or submerging with one. MOST recreational and rental BC are of this flavor.

Personally, I like the back-inflating BC with integrated weights. Everyone is different.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread was reported, by several members, to moderators...leading me to believe that reader-members are not amused. Consequently, some 20+ posts of pointless, off-topic bickering have been deleted. Such discussion belongs in the Thumbs Down forum. Now, carry on, remaining on topic please. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Back-inflating (not BP/W) vests are usually smaller, lighter, and easier to pack. The bladder on these vests are, as implied, on the back near the tank. They tend to push you onto your face a little when floating on the surface.

This is why I personally dislike back inflate BCD's. A balanced BP/W will not do this, and can also be small, light and easy to pack. I have a single tank wing and a steel plate for dry suit diving, and have an aluminium plate on order for when I go to warmer waters with it this fall. Even with the steel plate it is very easy to handle compared to the back inflate travel BCD it replaced, even though it is a bit heavier.

The main realization I had when I was using my travel BCD was that while it felt really nice in the store, it was a completely different ballgame in the water. Just adding the tank was enough to make the BCD a lot less comfortable, as it had only plastic and padding to support the tank. Moving about in the water was clumsy as there was a lot of material around the integrated weight pockets.

This was my experience, and what made me replace it with a BP/W setup. Now I feel a lot more free and unencumbered in the water, it's a lot easier getting my equipment ready and packing it down, and when I move on land with the tank it doesn't feel nearly as heavy because the metal plate spreads the load out and the harness sits well. Of course, there are a few drawbacks with the setup; I have no built in pockets, and it's a bit more work to fasten things to the harness. But then, once things are in place there is no messing about. Just put the BP/W on and go.

For me there is no going back to an integrated BCD. Everyone is indeed different. :)

Jesper

The key to comfort at the surface with any back inflate is 1) Proper Weighting and 2) Crotch Strap.

An over weighted diver needs a lot of gas in their bc. Filling a Back inflate all the way down to your waist is a good way to tip forward.

A properly weighted diver only needs a puff of gas. This gas will be behind the divers shoulders and can't tip them forward.

Without a crotch strap inflating the BC will cause the BC to rise out of the water, but not the diver. The typical reaction is to add *more* gas.

With a crotch strap the BC and the (properly weighted) diver rise with just a puff of gas.

Tobin

Yep, its all about weighting. I had a DUI Delta BI when I went to a DS years back. It was weight integrated. It also had a significant amount of padding. Add in the DS, and weighting became fairly significant (stupidly, I had aluminum tanks then too). There was no good result from this combination, and a face plant was routine (and annoying). Weights in the front, bladder in the back was a horrible design.

Yep, its all about weighting. I had a DUI Delta BI when I went to a DS years back. It was weight integrated. It also had a significant amount of padding. Add in the DS, and weighting became fairly significant (stupidly, I had aluminum tanks then too). There was no good result from this combination, and a face plant was routine (and annoying). Weights in the front, bladder in the back was a horrible design.

If you were using standard AL-80s the bottom of the cylinder tends to get floaty when they get low on air which adds to the instability. It may not be noticeable with a ton of weight but if you are lightly weighted it is.

The key to comfort at the surface with any back inflate is 1) Proper Weighting and 2) Crotch Strap.

An over weighted diver needs a lot of gas in their bc. Filling a Back inflate all the way down to your waist is a good way to tip forward.

A properly weighted diver only needs a puff of gas. This gas will be behind the divers shoulders and can't tip them forward.

Without a crotch strap inflating the BC will cause the BC to rise out of the water, but not the diver. The typical reaction is to add *more* gas.

With a crotch strap the BC and the (properly weighted) diver rise with just a puff of gas.

Tobin

You can a crotch strap to the BCD jacket and be properly weighted and all will be OK with that setup too. I don't understand the difference you are trying very hard to imply here.

I have been using a SP Classic Plus BC for over 15 years and it floats me straight up with my entire head and part of my chest above water and I don't have to struggle to stay upright at all. I can even sleep on my back on the water surface and remain in this position without any effort on my part. It doesn't have a crotch strap btw.

You can a crotch strap to the BCD jacket and be properly weighted and all will be OK with that setup too. I don't understand the difference you are trying very hard to imply here.

I have been using a SP Classic Plus BC for over 15 years and it floats me straight up with my entire head and part of my chest above water and I don't have to struggle to stay upright at all. I can even sleep on my back on the water surface and remain in this position without any effort on my part. It doesn't have a crotch strap btw.

IMHO, for the average recreational diver, BCD styles (jacket, back inflate, BP/W) are a matter of preference for their strengths and weaknesses. Some people are more particular than others or find certain strengths and weaknesses gravitate them towards a certain style.

Last edited:
Well said.

I assembled my BP/W one piece harness by myself using internet info too. I was a comfortable, diver when I made the switch. Took a few dives to get everything adjusted just right.

YCC and his wife are coming fresh out of OW class. New divers will have a lot to think about during their 1st several dives. Taking care of their buoyancy, their air supply, not getting lost, watching and helping their buddy. Add assembling and adjusting a one piece BP/W harness and crotch strap by themselves ? That would not have gone well for me or my buddy when I 1st got certified or for other newly certified divers I have seen.

It's nice to have choices. Jacket style, back inflate, modular, BP/W. Plenty of happy people diving with each style. Another choice is to rent and try out different styles before deciding what to buy. That might be the best option since you can see 1st hand what you prefer.

---------- Post added May 5th, 2015 at 09:52 PM ----------

THIS!

Thanks for that link.
The "I can/can't repair it myself" arguement is made frequently here.

Gear gets damaged....it happens sometimes. It's no surprise that DGX recommends sending it to the manufacturer; why would they want to deal with it?

Ycc,

The reality is nearly all wing manufacturers and many retailers recommend against field repairs. In the unlikely event a DSS wing needs repair the good news is we are the actual manufacturer. We have all the parts and the personal available to make repairs typically in a day or so.

Below is text from the DGX site detailing their position on bladder repairs.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/bcdparts.shtml#419

Replacement Bladders for Your Wing

We don't offer replacement bladders and there is a good reason. Manufacturers frequently make changes to the bladders in wings, and there is no way to be sure that current bladders will fit existing wings. We recommend that you directly contact the service department for the manufacturer of your wing and arrange to return the wing to them for repair. If you purchased the wing from us, and prefer, you can send the wing to us and we will send it to the manufacturer, but this does not add any value, and will cause a delay.
We also do not recommend 'do-it-yourself' repairs to bladders because they are life support equipment, a BC failure can have serious consequences. The most common type of failure in bladders is a puncture, but we have specific reasons why we don't recommend these be repaired. Most punctures are of a 'longitudinal' nature caused by a pinch, and longitudinal cuts in the material of the bladder are very difficult to repair with a patch. The pressure stress of a fully inflated bladder may cause a longitudinal puncture to gradually extend, eventually out from under a patch, and the bladder will again leak. Aging bladders often first begin to leak around the inflator or OPV attachment flanges or ultrasonic welds at seams. While these can be patched, what has actually happened is the material of the bladder has begun to lose its elasticity as a result of age and/or exposure to UV & Ozone. While the flange could be replaced or the leak patched, similar age related bladder failures are certain to follow. Statistics from DAN suggest that a failure of buoyancy control can be one of the most life threatening types of dive accidents. For this reason, we caution against DIY bladder repairs.

Tobin

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom