Travel BCs budget $450

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are so many options and valid opinions in this thread.

Ycc is either enjoying sifting through all of it or his head is spinning confused with too many options and questions.

Reactions: ycc
Ycc,

The reality is nearly all wing manufacturers and many retailers recommend against field repairs. In the unlikely event a DSS wing needs repair the good news is we are the actual manufacturer. We have all the parts and the personal available to make repairs typically in a day or so.

Below is text from the DGX site detailing their position on bladder repairs.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/bcdparts.shtml#419

Replacement Bladders for Your Wing

We don't offer replacement bladders and there is a good reason. Manufacturers frequently make changes to the bladders in wings, and there is no way to be sure that current bladders will fit existing wings. We recommend that you directly contact the service department for the manufacturer of your wing and arrange to return the wing to them for repair. If you purchased the wing from us, and prefer, you can send the wing to us and we will send it to the manufacturer, but this does not add any value, and will cause a delay.
We also do not recommend 'do-it-yourself' repairs to bladders because they are life support equipment, a BC failure can have serious consequences. The most common type of failure in bladders is a puncture, but we have specific reasons why we don't recommend these be repaired. Most punctures are of a 'longitudinal' nature caused by a pinch, and longitudinal cuts in the material of the bladder are very difficult to repair with a patch. The pressure stress of a fully inflated bladder may cause a longitudinal puncture to gradually extend, eventually out from under a patch, and the bladder will again leak. Aging bladders often first begin to leak around the inflator or OPV attachment flanges or ultrasonic welds at seams. While these can be patched, what has actually happened is the material of the bladder has begun to lose its elasticity as a result of age and/or exposure to UV & Ozone. While the flange could be replaced or the leak patched, similar age related bladder failures are certain to follow. Statistics from DAN suggest that a failure of buoyancy control can be one of the most life threatening types of dive accidents. For this reason, we caution against DIY bladder repairs.

Tobin

I forgot to mention this, too. Do NOT buy a doubles wing for single tank diving. Don't buy a wing "that can do both." Buy a dedicated singles wing, and if you find yourself wanting to dive doubles (like Tech diving or Cave diving in the future)....but yourself a new wing. Once you get there, one wing won't be expensive.

Good point about the wing. One wing, relative to everything else is pennies! :)

Ycc,

In the unlikely event a DSS wing needs repair the good news is we are the actual manufacturer. We have all the parts and the personal available to make repairs typically in a day or so.

The bad news is the OP is in Hong Kong while DSS is in California. So while DSS's prices and turnaround are reasonable, the shipping costs (and time) make sending the wing back and forth for repair an expensive and time consuming proposition. That is why I recommended a brand he can service in Hong Kong.

The DGX blurb is a bit self-serving on their part. DGX does not want to deal with bladder punctures (probably because of liability) and recommends sending the wing back to the manufacturer for repair. They talk about pinch flats and then mention aging bladders which are two different problems all together.

---------- Post added April 30th, 2015 at 01:33 PM ----------

There are so many options and valid opinions in this thread.

The OP mentioned a few types of BCs he was interested in. Says he is not interested in tech diving and now some people are talking about doubles. Next we will talk about side-mount.

The bad news is the OP is in Hong Kong while DSS is in California. So while DSS's prices and turnaround are reasonable, the shipping costs (and time) make sending the wing back and forth for repair an expensive and time consuming proposition. That is why I recommended a brand he can service in Hong Kong.

The DGX blurb is a bit self-serving on their part. DGX does not want to deal with bladder punctures (probably because of liability) and recommends sending the wing back to the manufacturer for repair.

As does DSS, and most other wing manufacturers.

They talk about pinch flats and then mention aging bladders which are two different problems all together.

Both issues are legitimate reasons to replace a bladder, not sure why you see a distinction.

The fact remains that nearly all wing manufacturers recommend against DIY repairs, it's in no way unique to DSS.

Unless the OP purchases a wing produced in Hong Kong in the event of a damaged bladder he is likely to face some shipping if he chooses to follow the near industry wide recommendation against field repairs.

Of course if this is a primary concern for the OP DSS can always offer him a wing with a zipper......

Tobin

For travel and comfort, I use the Zeagle Covert and wife uses the Scubapro Go. Both are very comfortable, durable, and do the job very well. We travel a lot by air, and every pound in the suitcase is important. We like the fact that they are very light weight and weight integrated (which is great if you don't like wearing a weight belt).

Both issues are legitimate reasons to replace a bladder, not sure why you see a distinction. The fact remains that nearly all wing manufacturers recommend against DIY repairs, it's in no way unique to DSS. Unless the OP purchases a wing produced in Hong Kong in the event of a damaged bladder he is likely to face some shipping if he chooses to follow the near industry wide recommendation against field repairs. Of course if this is a primary concern for the OP DSS can always offer him a wing with a zipper......
Tobin

I am not questioning the fact that most dive gear manufacturers recommend replacing the bladder vs. field repairs. What I do question is their motivation. Is this really a safety issue or is it a liability issue? We can agree to disagree, but I do not believe a properly patched wing is a safely issue. A bladder is not under high pressure and the outer shell restrains the bladder from inflating fully, so I can't see a pinch flat suddenly growing as they claim. What I can see is some yahoo patching his wing with duct tape, has it fall off, and sues the manufacturer for not telling him not to do it.

A bladder that is old, brittle, or failing at the seams cannot be patched safely, because the material under the patch is suspect. The bladder will be prone to leaks in other areas besides the patch. This is a different problem then someone with a perfectly good newer bladder with a pin hole leak.

It is not a question whether the wing has a zipper or not. The question is in the event that the OP needs service can he get it in Hong Kong or other diving destinations. Perhaps I am wrong but I assume the local distributer would carry replacement parts for the wing, So shipping would be less expensive. A priority mail medium box from the US to Hong Kong is over $60. I would think the rate from Hong Kong to the US would be the same. So a repair regardless of whether the wing has a zipper or not, is $170.00 + customs duties (if any). First class mail would be cheaper but the transit time is longer.

It is not a question whether the wing has a zipper or not.

Really? Then why have you made it your life's work to point out at every opportunity, including this very thread that DSS sells some wings that are sewn shut?

The question is in the event that the OP needs service can he get it in Hong Kong or other diving destinations. Perhaps I am wrong but I assume the local distributer would carry replacement parts for the wing, So shipping would be less expensive. A priority mail medium box from the US to Hong Kong is over $60. I would think the rate from Hong Kong to the US would be the same. So a repair regardless of whether the wing has a zipper or not, is $170.00 + customs duties (if any). First class mail would be cheaper but the transit time is longer.

Your assumptions are flawed.

1) First you assume that the "local distributor" has a ready stock of any bladder required. Dealers stock what makes them money. Infrequently called for items are often *not* on a dealers shelf. If a local dealer has ample stock of replacement bladders it suggests they sell a lot of them. If that is really the case I'd have to wonder about the robustness of the design.

2) Buyers of "special order" Items are routinely charged inbound freight. Just because the bladder was sold by a dealer doesn't instantly and magically transport it to a foreign land for free or waive any import duties...

3) Dive shops have a well earned reputation for long delays on special order items.

I suspect that the total turn around time on a repair of a DSS item *including* in and outbound economy transportation compares quite favorably with the typical local dealer sourcing the required parts.

I suspect the costs compare favorably too. We are of course debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, very few of our current 30 mil bladders are returned.

I'm quite proud of the effort DSS devotes to customer service, we have the parts and the staff to get the job done quickly and correctly, and to handle the requisite freight requirements.

Tobin

The OP mentioned a few types of BCs he was interested in. Says he is not interested in tech diving and now some people are talking about doubles. Next we will talk about side-mount.

Yeah and maybe it will lead to long hose, necklace, jetfins and a petral.

Reactions: ycc

I would love to learn more even I am not going tech shortly
it is always good to learn more about something you are interested in!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom