Trashfest 09 Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is a Fluss Rattan again? Flushed Rat? Fussy Rat.? Water Rats...? WET RATS!?!
:rofl3:

How is the interest of a group of divers greater than the interest of a city that relies on tourism with regards to having a clean river?

The amount of trash removed was greater than last year. Even the easy stuff, cans, bottles, shoes, had sizeable quantities overall. Just not in some sections.

Trash fest is still a fun and valuable event. So there isn't a whole lot of trash in some sections, that is just luck of the draw.

I think e-mailing the City Manager complaining that the river was too clean to pick up trash isn't going to have the effect you desire. He has much bigger issues to deal with.

The interests of the city and the condition of the river take priority over the interests of divers looking for a fun event. No doubt about it. A clean river is a good thing.

But as one of the organizing members, my disappointment is that this weekly cleanup contract (every Monday, including the Monday before the event) was not mentioned to us by any city or county officials over six months of talks making arrangements, until just a few weeks before the event. Talk about a stressful moment. Here we had arranged and advertised an event for hundreds of divers to clean trash out of the river and we find out there may be little or no trash in the river. That is why we placed the 96 colored rocks for prizes. At least six in every section so all teams had something to shoot for no matter what section they drew. We were determined to make this a fun event no matter what, even if we call it Trash and Treasure Fest.

If the city decided after 50 years that it needed more regular cleanups, I wish they would have mentioned this to us. Perhaps we could have accomodated them with a series of mini events. Or had more time to prepare alternative activities. I'll assume the lack of mention was due to oversight. I'm kind of amazed that with such a large dive community on SB that it had not been mentioned here (if it has, I missed it).

Despite this and a few other unexpected curveballs thrown at the last minute, we feel the event was successful in all respects. We are already plotting and scheming for ways to make next year's event even better.

Todd Hasken
TGCC President

All Joking, Gibberish & rain aside... I had a great time both in New Braunfels and at Lake Travis for the Sunday dive on the Giant Stride. I haven't spent that much time diving outside of Texas but one thing I know for sure is you always leave these events with many more dive pals than you showed up with.

Even though the viz wasn't that good, it could have been much worse, IMO. When we got in (I think I was second to do so in our section unless I missed people already submerged) the viz was about 2-3 feet when you got near the bottom. Of course, when you had someone up stream from you searching for trash you'd go zero viz but could swim to either side and get it again.

Our section was pretty clean for the most part so a few of us got into the competitive beer tab collecting spirit. All in all it was a great time...

David

Looks like Amanda owes me $20.00 then.. She bet he would be dancing with the Police before last call...

I heard yall make that bet and sure enough she lost BUT good luck collecting..:rofl3:

Greetings - got the pix up onto Flickr before I pumpkin'd for the night. You can check them out at: Trashfest 2009 - a set on Flickr

These are downloadable if anyone wants to pull copies....

Thanks a lot for putting them up. Great pics and good times!
Mine turned out badly. I'll see if any of them are salvageable.

Apparently the city of New Braunsfels hired divers to clean up the Comal river sometime this year.

I know this is an old thread, but how does one sign up to be a paid diver to clean the river?

Back
Top Bottom