Transmitters?

How many of you rebreather divers use transmitters on your O2 and DIL bottles?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I opened a thread on this, but I wish I could put my Perdix AI in Gauge mode but still read/display the transmitter values.
Lol you spent $1200 on a predix AI to use it in gauge mode?

Lol you spent $1200 on a predix AI to use it in gauge mode?
Uh no. I had two Perdixes already before having a rebreather.

You think I want to change the settings for a computer not connected to my machine? Not sure what you are suggesting, but whatever you are, it probably doesn't make sense.

Uh no. I had two Perdixes already before having a rebreather.

You think I want to change the settings for a computer not connected to my machine? Not sure what you are suggesting, but whatever you are, it probably doesn't make sense.
The Perdix AI is useless with a CCR in gauge mode. There is a CC/BO internal setpoint mode for exactly this role.

The Perdix AI is useless with a CCR in gauge mode. There is a CC/BO internal setpoint mode for exactly this role.
Obviously it is useless if it doesn't report the cylinder pressures. Again, I really don't wish to be changing settings on two computers. I just want to be able to look at my right forearm and see the pressures of both cylinders.

That's it.

When doing deeper dives, have added an additional Perdix (non AI) to my left wrist set to CC mode with auto setpoint and the GF set to 90:90. Idea being to have a measure of the fastest route to surface if bailing out.

It compares well to the Petrel and Nerd that have access to the PPO2 data.

There are lots of people here with more experience than me who are voting for transmitters, and I'm always willing to learn. But other than a boom drill (or an actual boom), not sure what the scenario is where I need to continually and conveniently monitoring gas pressure for a CCR dive.

Unlike OC, we aren't watching turn pressure. If you are starting a dive with limited gas reserves, then you need to significantly limit your dive plan to match (or get more gas), rather than watching your gas reserves to run the dive. Also unlike some OC divers, if we do screw up the planning, have a boom, or unexpectedly use much more gas that we planned so we run out of O2 or dil, then we have offboard bailout.

I understand the point that @rsingler made about the JJ gagues, and he and I have discussed that in the past. I feel that the fact that the gauges are tucked away is a feature, not a bug, since I like to keep clutter to a minimum up front. If I did have a boom scenario, it would be OK for them to dangle a bit after I checked pressure, on the way up. I can't remember the last time I checked my tank pressure during a dive, so the stowing issue isn't that big a deal for me.

I'm also aware of the limits of cognitive bandwidth - taking up screen real estate with tank pressure on my NERD or controller seems unnecessary to me.

But as I said, always happy to learn.

BTW, I have switched to transmitters and absolutely love it. As not having the SPGs does slightly clean up my chest area a bit. While my NERD2 is configured to monitor my 2 transmitters, I have my extra Perdix AI on my right arm to displace the values at all times.

There are lots of people here with more experience than me who are voting for transmitters, and I'm always willing to learn. But other than a boom drill (or an actual boom), not sure what the scenario is where I need to continually and conveniently monitoring gas pressure for a CCR dive.

Unlike OC, we aren't watching turn pressure. If you are starting a dive with limited gas reserves, then you need to significantly limit your dive plan to match (or get more gas), rather than watching your gas reserves to run the dive. Also unlike some OC divers, if we do screw up the planning, have a boom, or unexpectedly use much more gas that we planned so we run out of O2 or dil, then we have offboard bailout.

I understand the point that @rsingler made about the JJ gagues, and he and I have discussed that in the past. I feel that the fact that the gauges are tucked away is a feature, not a bug, since I like to keep clutter to a minimum up front. If I did have a boom scenario, it would be OK for them to dangle a bit after I checked pressure, on the way up. I can't remember the last time I checked my tank pressure during a dive, so the stowing issue isn't that big a deal for me.

I'm also aware of the limits of cognitive bandwidth - taking up screen real estate with tank pressure on my NERD or controller seems unnecessary to me.

But as I said, always happy to learn.

I doubt anyone (on CCR) is "continually" monitoring their gas. But, I do check mine usually a couple of times during a dive. It's peace of mind that I don't have some leak that I didn't realize I had.

If you don't need to check your dil and O2 pressures during the dive, then you don't need AI or even SPGs, right? Why not check your dil and O2 cylinder pressures just before you install the cylinders on your CCR, using a separate pressure checker? Thus eliminating the potential failure points associated with the HP hose, SPG, et.?

If you do need SPGs, then why not have them showing on your computer display instead of having to look at physical gauges?

As I think I posted before, I have appreciated being able to look at my gas consumption data after a dive, to see where during the dive I used my dil. When I can see that I used dil at the very beginning, up until I got to my max depth, and then I used no more during the rest of the dive, then I know I've done well. If I see that I occasionally used some more after getting to max depth, then I know I need to review what I was doing and figure out if I can do better. Was my mask leaking, causing me to need to clear it and waste dil? Or was it just that I was doing some up and down stuff on the bottom? Or something else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom