Transmitters?

How many of you rebreather divers use transmitters on your O2 and DIL bottles?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll add that the NERD was already AI equipped, so it was just a matter of adding transmitters. If it had involved a new computer to make it happen I would not have bothered. I like my transmitters, but they are not a must.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

My unit has its own controller/computer. The Perdix will be my backup.

Whilst an independent cell giving real time PO2 would be nice. I don't want the complication of
  • needing to modify the unit to take an additionall cell
  • Making a 'hole' in the unit to bring the cable out to the Petrel
  • The backup computer with a wire and the related complications.
Therefore, the Petrel - Fisher wasn't on the list, which meant the Perdix became logical.
Makes more sense now

This thread is timely for me.

I have been thinking of buying myself a new toy, a Perdix or Petrel.
After much thought, I have come down on the side of the Perdix AI.

I decided that I don't want to fit external sensors to the unit and the computer, so that means I won't need the Petrel 2 - Fisher. Which means the newer Perdix seems to be the sensible choice. Which left me considering which version. I have finally decided on the AI. Giving me the option to fit sensors to the DIL and O2. Gas is far less of an issue on CC, but if I am going to get a shiny new toy, I might as well get one with flexibility to give me wireless cylinder pressure.

Gareth
Yeah, I have two Perdix AIs. I was thinking of using one (both might be a bit overkill) to monitor the pressure of both cylinders. I do have two of the new Shearwater transmitters.

Yes, I love them. I used to use button gauges on my unit and grew tired of people whining about it. Now I have transmitters and when people whine, I can scroll and show them the pressures.

I switched to transmitters because on the JJ, craning your neck down to read a gauge pulled to the limit in the banded hose routing is a PITA. And if you skip the band to be able to pull your hose out further from behind your hip to check, it's very cumbersome to try to stuff the hose back in place.
My instructor mounts xmtrs directly to the firsts protected at the base of the unit by the stand. But he still gets signal drop from time to time. I route mine on 20" hoses up the back of my plate, where the transmitters just peek out in front of the can, but are still protected my the handle. A straight signal shot to the Perdix AI that is my backup computer. That way, I still have all the cells visible on my NERD.
Yeah, I know. Too many devices, but I hate playing with the buttons on my NERD.

I did it to declutter the chest area a little. And mostly for tracking. Where in the dive am I actually using gas. Post dive analysis. Since you can put them as a mini display in a single slot on the NERD, easy enough. I consider it less gear to deal with compared to running SPGs. No routing as you gear up, they are always out of the way.

Yes! I literally just finished downloading log data and going over it from yesterday's dive. I took my rEvo to 308ffw. I wanted to see how much of my dil and drysuit inflation I used and when.

My AI data from my NERD let me see that I went from 3130 psi (in a 3L steel) of dil at the surface to 1614 when I finally got neutral at depth. Basically 1500 psi of dil into my wing and loop, just to get neutral. Finished the dive with 1200. I used too much at some early stops in my ascent, from driving up with my scooter and then bobbing around a bit trying to get neutral. Need to work on that. Shouldn't have needed to use any.

No AI on my suit inflator, so I had to check that the old fashioned way. Started with 2900 in a 6cf bottle. had 2200 at the end of the dive. I was surprised I used so little of the drysuit gas. I kind of figured that depth with medium weight undies would have me getting at least sorta close to needing to think about getting a bigger bottle for that.

I was not surprised at the dil usage, but dang it was a lot!

Definitely pleased to have the AI data for the dil usage. Without it, I wouldn't really know exactly where it all went. I was too busy to stop and make notes on what my dil pressure was at various waypoints of the dive....

I don't really bother with them on the small onboard bottles though if you use gauges that you need to/want to read on them then they are a good choice and have had a lot of traction even in cave country. I prefer them on the big dilout bottles though. I subscribe to button gauges on the onboard bottles with "I started with enough O2 to finish this dive/scrubber, and started with enough inflation gas to complete this dive" and if I run out, then I run out and can always plug offboard O2 or inflation gas in. WAI on the dilout bottles is nice for cave diving and if you're sidemounting them lets you check them hands free without coming off the trigger which is a huge improvement.

I have a transmitter on the O2 bottle and my diluent/bailout tanks. I just love the convenience.

Yeah, I have two Perdix AIs. I was thinking of using one (both might be a bit overkill) to monitor the pressure of both cylinders. I do have two of the new Shearwater transmitters.
Before the latest firmware I would carry my OC Perdix so I could have it monitor my BO tank(s) and my main perdix AI was for the O2/Dil. Now I can devote my OC perdix back to OC work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom