Transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get the Shearwater. Price is generally better. Also nobody can ever give the excuse that it is a mismatch of different brands. We know that would be BS, but for someone (dive shop, maybe not the one you are getting it from but sometime in the future) it would be an easy excuse. Matched brands, can't be a mis branding issue.

Next is what color to get? The grey is the most common. Yellow is second. Pretty sure there is even a third. And they are different besides color. The transmit times are 0.1 seconds different. This is to minimize the potential for errors if running a multiple transmitter setup. You can run any color you like on a single transmitter setup. Cost is the same. Might be helpful to start with a yellow and later if you want a second the grey is easier to find.

As for running a short hose. That is too application specific. Some 1st stages there is not way around not running one. The options for HP ports may not allow a direct installation. You would have to run a hose. Doesn't have to be short, where do you want to put the transmitter? There are options. As far as short hose issues, when it is short and you bend it a lot, all that stress is in a small bit of hose. If you are not bending it all the time in tight radius it will last a lot longer. Anybody ever look up the minimum bend radius for the hose?

Get the Shearwater. Price is generally better. Also nobody can ever give the excuse that it is a mismatch of different brands. We know that would be BS, but for someone (dive shop, maybe not the one you are getting it from but sometime in the future) it would be an easy excuse. Matched brands, can't be a mis branding issue.

Next is what color to get? The grey is the most common. Yellow is second. Pretty sure there is even a third. And they are different besides color. The transmit times are 0.1 seconds different. This is to minimize the potential for errors if running a multiple transmitter setup. You can run any color you like on a single transmitter setup. Cost is the same. Might be helpful to start with a yellow and later if you want a second the grey is easier to find.

As for running a short hose. That is too application specific. Some 1st stages there is not way around not running one. The options for HP ports may not allow a direct installation. You would have to run a hose. Doesn't have to be short, where do you want to put the transmitter? There are options. As far as short hose issues, when it is short and you bend it a lot, all that stress is in a small bit of hose. If you are not bending it all the time in tight radius it will last a lot longer. Anybody ever look up the minimum bend radius for the hose?

I actually just pick up they grey one. As of right now I’m only doing single tank setup and I’m the only one who will have a Ai setup at the moment in my normal dive group. Plus I understand the signal range is not far enough to really have interference with other. I have set to try to mount it but I have a aqualung legend elite reg setup so it’s newly designed so I don’t see aqualung not compensating for direct mounted transmitters especially on a reg that can be used for “tec” diving. As far as the send radius I know a bit about that. Not sure the exact numbers on it but in aviation landing gear hydraulic hoses which is very similar to the ones we use for high pressure.. (3000psi normal operating pressure in a Landing gear system on most aircrafts) the recommend no more that a 3.5in radius.. still unsure if I want to run a short hose.. it’s more for monkeys who don’t understand it isn’t a handle in my case.

Back
Top Bottom