Transition to BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty sure that's the case... LOL :poke::wink::wink::wink::cheers:

I bought my first BP/W immediately after finishing my OW cert.
. . .

Yeah yeah yeah. I remember seeing the pics. Either I'm inept, you're a natural, or we're both somewhere between those extremes.

I had a couple of hundred dives under my belt in jacket and back-inflate BCs when I read on SB that I should take GUE Fundies. I had hardly even heard of a BP/W. Someone let me try on this thing called a BP/W. It seemed alien. But I persevered. I bought one from DSS and took Fundies 1 (then called GUE Primer). I was a total disaster in the water--pitching headfirst, rolling to the side .... I tried to dive a little in the BP/W, did not feel confident at all with it, but went back and repeated the course. I did better but still did not pass. Couldn't get my weighting or trim right. I just couldn't get myself as stable as I used to be (or think I was) in a jacket BC. In fairness, I never tried hovering motionless, properly weighted, in trim, in a jacket BC in 8 feet of water, so the odds were stacked against me. I suppose if my goal had simply been to swim forward at normal dive depths in reasonable trim, I could have done it with only a few hours practice. Still, I can't imagine taking off on a vacation with any significant piece of new gear without getting used to it first.

I think my weight concerns have been somewhat settled. While looking at pockets naturally saw simple trim pockets that hold 4 or 5 lbs each up to "ditchable" pockets that hold massive amounts. This is where i was trying to figure out what pockets to get. its seems that from most responses that the simple pockets that hold 4 or 5 pounds each should be sufficient, for now for my current type of diving. "needing" more weight could be fixed by other means.

In regards to the wing. before i purchased it naturally i researched it and found various posts giving it positive reviews, even for single tank. this is where naturally i get somewhat skeptical where other people say otherwise. I don’t mean this to be offensive or anything (and typing something can often come off the wrong way) but some people have refined themselves and gotten what can sometimes be seen as holier than thou tech/dir mentality. I’m not there, I’m still basically recreational learning and figuring things out. I asked for advice so what i get is what i get and appreciate all input, but I need explanation as to why something may be "right" or "wrong" not just that its not "optimal". Ok what makes it not optimal? I don’t know what i don’t know and won’t know until i dive multiple configurations.

Tobin, I understand your sentiments. Now, my understanding is that basically the mounting holes for bp and wings are standardized. I know there are other differences, but in terms of "bolting it up" I don’t see how there can be a whole lot of issue with a system that is meant to be super simple. I can understand however the importance of choosing a wing that is proper in terms of lift capacity and there will be different trim characteristics of each wing. But can the diver not adjust his trim to be more in line with the particular wing he is using?

Yeah yeah yeah. I remember seeing the pics. Either I'm inept, you're a natural, or we're both somewhere between those extremes.

Ha ha! I think you were just tainted by too much time in a jacket before you switched. :D

Ha ha! I think you were just tainted by too much time in a jacket before you switched. :D

My wife's take on her aquapro 5 is "I feel like a battleship, and I like it". :D

Tobin, I understand your sentiments. Now, my understanding is that basically the mounting holes for bp and wings are standardized. I know there are other differences, but in terms of "bolting it up" I don’t see how there can be a whole lot of issue with a system that is meant to be super simple. I can understand however the importance of choosing a wing that is proper in terms of lift capacity and there will be different trim characteristics of each wing. But can the diver not adjust his trim to be more in line with the particular wing he is using?

With doubles that's largely true, nearly every doubles wing can at least be fit to nearly every back plate produced. They may not offer ideal wing to plate placement (height) as some plates have the "11 inch" holes in the center channel located higher or lower WRT to the top of the plate.

Singles, particularly direct mount systems, i.e. those that do use a STA, not so much. The location, spacing, width, or even the lack of camband slots in the plate and or the wing can all be issues.

Further the location of the "11 inch" holes relative to the camband slots can be another issue........

In the immortal words of D Rumsfeld, "we don't know what we don't know" :)

Tobin

I have a DSS Kydex plate and 20 lb wing. In the following video you can see me at the beginning and the end of the video. What you should note is the wing stays below the level of the tank, l rather than wrapping up and around the sides. Imagine the air bubble and what happens when I vent. It is all on one level more or less. Now imagine a much larger wing and the air rises up on either side of the tank like a taco. Now if you want to vent that rig you will have to go vertical so the air can rise to the vent and in most cases you will have to roll to one side to get the air to the vent. If the air is unbalanced to one side you may find yourself having to roll a bit of it to the other side to keep from tilting to one side while you swim.

Now having said that, I have dived with DMs that have huge wings that are twice the size of mine. Several reasons for that. They get their stuff wherever they can for next to nothing. They carry 8-10 extra lbs of lead in case they need to share it to help an improperly weighted diver to be able to get down or hold a safety stop. The extra large wing gives them the flexibility to create extra lift in certain situations that their divers may find themselves in. They basically dive with lead and lift for two. It is a pain to deal with but they kind of have to live with the less than great setup for the flexibility it gives them if they need it.

Is an improperly set up or compromised rig better than a jacket bc? It is hard to say but probably so. The problem comes if you are dissatisfied and end up replacing it and end up with it hanging unused in your closet like my Aqualung Zuma.

Here is the video. Watch it on a good screen and turn up the volume. It is a hoot.

Last edited:
Your rec will be fine. I use a rec XT dual bladder for AL doubles and a rec exp for single backmount.

You can avoid the taco issue by getting some Velcro double sided tape and making several 1 inch loops. You open the loops and put them thru various parts of the plate on both sides and around different parts of the bungee and tabs.

By semi-securing the bladder to both sides of the plate, it acts like a double tank setup. You could use wire ties the same way, but the two sided Velcro is more convenient. That way, you don't have to rethread the bungee or cut the wire ties.

I have also successfully used this method with sidemounting as when I go on a trip, I might be using a sta, doubles, or sidemounting and I only want to take one wing and one plate.

If you want to get rid of your rec for a Diverite voyager, I would be happy to help you out.

Last edited:
Your rec will be fine. I use a rec XT dual bladder for AL doubles and a rec exp for single backmount.

You can avoid the taco issue by getting some Velcro double sided tape and making several 1 inch loops. You open the loops and put them thru various parts of the plate on both sides and around different parts of the bungee and tabs.

By semi-securing the bladder to both sides of the plate, it acts like a double tank setup. You could use wire ties the same way, but the two sided Velcro is more convenient. That way, you don't have to rethread the bungee or cut the wire ties.

I have also successfully used this method with sidemounting as when I go on a trip, I might be using a sta, doubles, or sidemounting and I only want to take one wing and one plate.

If you want to get rid of your rec for a Diverite voyager, I would be happy to help you out.

I appreciate the positive outlook, it is comforting LOL. As far as exchanging for the voyager i really dont know what i want....ill pm you some pics of the wing though

I have a DSS Kydex plate and 20 lb wing. In the following video you can see me at the beginning and the end of the video. What you should note is the wing stays under and beside the wing. Imagine the air bubble and what happens when I vent. It is all on one level more or less. Now imagine a much larger wing and the air rises up on either side of the tank like a taco. Now if you want to vent that rig you will have to go vertical so the air can rise to the vent and in most cases you will have to roll to one side to get the air to the vent. If the air is unbalanced to one side you may find yourself having to roll a bit of it to the other side to keep from tilting to one side while you swim.

Now having said that, I have dived with DMs that have huge wings that are twice the size of mine. Several reasons for that. They get their stuff wherever they can for next to nothing. They carry 8-10 extra lbs of lead in case they need to share it to help an improperly weighted diver to be able to get down or hold a safety stop. The extra large wing gives them the flexibility to create extra lift in certain situations that their divers may find themselves in. They basically dive with lead and lift for two. It is a pain to deal with but they kind of have to live with the less than great setup for the flexibility it gives them if they need it.

Is an improperly set up or compromised rig better than a jacket bc? It is hard to say but probably so. The problem comes if you are dissatisfied and end up replacing it and end up with it hanging unused in your closet like my Aqualung Zuma.

Here is the video. Watch it on a good screen and turn up the volume. It is a hoot.

Awesome video lol. Thanks for sharing!

I have a DSS Kydex plate and 20 lb wing. In the following video you can see me at the beginning and the end of the video. What you should note is the wing stays under and beside the wing.

Huh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom