Trans Pac II....or ... the Trans Plate w/harness...pls answer quick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok...I went to a dive expo near my home and have narrowed my decision a new bcd to either a Trans Pac II ...or...the Trans Plate with harness.

Which would you go with and why? And, which do you think I should go with?

My diving is not and never will be true tec. I might...might...someday do doubles....but never deeper than 135 and never stage bottle diving. I am way too old for that and if not too old...my back would never take it.

So if you are a fanatic on bp and wings only....and I support your right to be so....but try to look at it from my point of view....

I just want a good back inflate system....would like for it to be comfortable....and I have no plans to crawl the Mariannis trench ( sorry about the spelling on that one) with it. My diving is either off the coast of NC or in warm water....Caribbean...West Indies...yada yada.

TP II.....Trans plate with harness....which??

( in the "for what its worth" department....the deal is....the TP II with a 50lb lift bungeed wing....will go for $596 and they throw in the $100 weight pockets for free.... I dont have a price on the trans plate and harness.....and this deal is only offered until the end of the week>)

Rich

struggled with the same choice. I, new Cavern, Intro cave diver will ultimately end up with Trimix but not until later this year. I can dive doubles in TPII with no problem. I do alot of tropical diving with my wife and the TPII fits that bill quite nicely. I am using the Trek wing as it is good for any size single and good for AL80 doubles which is the only thing I will probably use for some time. The 50 lb wing, I assume your talking about the classic, is for doubles only. Watch out or you'll be buying a second wing before you thought of it.

Being over 40 I won't be doing any real seriousl Tec Diving myself but do enjoy the outer fringe to middle of the road tec. Good luck.

I got the Pioneer system solely for singles rec diving.

I could not possibly be happier with it. There is really nothing like the rock solid stability and comfort from the backplate.

RICHinNC:
( in the "for what its worth" department....the deal is....the TP II with a 50lb lift bungeed wing....will go for $596 and they throw in the $100 weight pockets for free.... I dont have a price on the trans plate and harness.....and this deal is only offered until the end of the week>)

Do you realize that you can buy an Oxycheq backplate setup, with a non-bungeed SINGLES wing, for a retail price of...

drumroll please......

$480?

If I had to choose between those two options, or otherwise I would NEVER, ever dive again, I guess I would choose the Transpac II (because you can use it for sidemount, and its excellent for traveling). However, dont jump on it because you THINK you are getting a good deal, or something. Make sure its what YOU want...
Check out those Oxycheq prices though, huh???

Yeah, I think sidemount is definitely in this guy's future.

Good call.

:p

jonnythan:
Yeah, I think sidemount is definitely in this guy's future.

Good call.

:p

Oh, Sarcasm, huh???? Nice...

Again, I said for ME...
Thats what I would choose if given those options. However, I really think he should just get the Oxycheq setup...

Another option that I have been looking at that is a really good deal is a transplate and wing package from diveriteexpress.com The have a deal for both the transpac, the transplate (plate with transpac harness) and a standard plate, harness and wing. They are pretty good deals and their is no tax and no shipping on orders over $25. Hope this makes things easier not harder :)

$596 is pretty steep for a TransPac II. If you look around some of the shops along the NC coast you can probably find it much cheaper. I dove with the TPII for over a year and have now taken the wing from my setup (the Rec wing) and bolted it to a FredT backplate. This packs much smaller than the TPII, is a lot more stable underwater and gives me a few more options down the road.

If I had it to do over again, hindsight being 20/20, I would go with something like the OxyCheq setup. It would have saved me the cost of a Zeagle Concept II, gave it to my Father in law so not a total loss, and a TPII harness.

Depending on my tax refund and my bonus at work I am looking at the 45# OxyCheq wing or a Pioneer wing for singles. I have my doubles wing coming (ebay rocks).

For the diving you are wanting to do either setup will work, just watch the prices and crosscheck them with Internet prices.

Back
Top Bottom