Trans Pac II....or ... the Trans Plate w/harness...pls answer quick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry I missed you Rich, I was there also.
Before you decide, try diving both of them. I tried a BP (Halycon w-45lb/AL bp) last year during a DIR-F class. I had heard all the great reviews here and was expecting a lot of difference. I was not impressed with it for non-tech diving. It's a pain to adjust and I never did get it adjusted to where it as comfortable above water, underwater I saw little differnce between it and the other back inflates I dive. If I were going into tech diving then it would be my choice but I am not going to give up comfort and ease of adjustment of my current BC.

A 50# wing? That's a lot for diving around here, 30 is more like it, cheaper too I would think.

Hey OxyCheq also makes the O-Pac - you get the security of a one piece harness, with softpack to boot if you're not interested in using doubles. Same wings as the backplate setups.

If a certain ongoing lawsuit ever goes away there might even be a range of weight pockets released to suit it...

How was the show, it is a 4 hour drive for me and was wandering if it was worth going. www.scuba.com has the tpII and the recwings for 499.99 and includes the weight pockets. Check it out

I own both rigs ... and for all-around diving I prefer the TransPlate. I usually use my TP II for the pool, and it's typically equipped with the 30 lb. Venture wing.

What you have to ask yourself is how much weight do you want to carry in your weight belt (or weight pockets). The backplate allows you to remove 6 lbs of weight ... and the padding on the TransPac II is fairly buoyant, and you have to add about 2 lbs to compensate. So the difference in the weight you will carry from one to the other is about 8 lbs total. If this matters to you, then factor that into your decision.

For the guy who said the 50 lb. wing was for doubles, no ... it is not. The wing he's referring to is the Rec Wing ... not the Classic (which is a 65 lb wing). I use a Rec Wing on my TransPlate, and it's ideal for diving singles. I'm a fairly hefty fellow though ... and a smaller diver might only need the Trek Wing (40 lb lift).

Regarding those who are advocating the Oxycheq wing ... it will most benefit the diver who is typically a bit "fins down" and needs to get their butt up a bit. The Oxycheq wing is a "donut" shape ... whereas the Dive Rite wing is a horseshoe shape. Therefore the Oxycheq wing will put some air underneath the lower portion of your cylinder, whereas the Dive Rite wing will not. If you need that kind of trim assistance, the Oxycheq is a good choice. If you're a typically fins-up diver anyway, then perhaps a horseshoe-shaped wing is a better choice for you. I've actually seen divers wearing the Oxycheq wing and having to offset the design with tank weights on the lower tank strap. That's kind've defeating the purpose of the design, to my concern. Choose the wing that best fits your diving style.

Keep in mind that the TransPlate is not a standard harness ... and it has it's pros and cons. The harness staps are comfortable and convenient, but they are also fairly expensive to replace ... and as with a standard harness there are wear points where the webbing rubs against the backplate. I've got a couple hundred dives on mine, and there is significant wear in the webbing. With a standard harness that's a cheap fix ... with the TransPlate it's not. With the TransPac II it's not even a consideration.

Finally, as someone else already mentioned ... the price you're quoting seems a bit steep to me. I'd do some looking around before buying.

Oh ... and one other thing ... the TransPac II harness is not exactly the same as the TransPlate harness. They are not interchangeable parts. In fact, even the sizes run significantly different. I own a size XL TransPlate harness. When I got my TPII I got an XL and had to replace the straps with size M/L. Be careful that you try on whichever one you decide to purchase before you buy.

Hope that helps more than it confuses ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

fishguts:
How was the show, it is a 4 hour drive for me and was wandering if it was worth going. www.scuba.com has the tpII and the recwings for 499.99 and includes the weight pockets. Check it out

Those are the old style weight pockets. They can be a pain as they can get caught and have an unintended release. They new pockets are much better design.

Appreciate the answers. The harness I tried on with both the TP II and the TPlate was the same harness. Both were adjustable and had quick releases. For me, I prefer the comfort and ease of getting in and out.

I did a lot of checking on the internet and would like to find these prices I am hearing about regarding Oxy but when I go to their site and do the math it does not come out the same for me. Maybe I am missing something there. Conversations with the DiveRite rep were interesting. He told me up front that "the price" the shops have to work with from them is $618 for what I was looking at...but they did have a little leeway. He wasnt happy when I made a comment , yep and thats why dive shops are closing everywhere....too much control.

Fish....Actually I was a tad dissappointed in the show. It was really small and there were not a lot of equipment guys there. There were actually more clubs, travel agents, and liveaboard reps there than equipment displays. Halcyon was set up such that you couldnt try on anything they had...it was all set up on fixed, rotating displays. For me, the hour and a half drive wasnt all that bad....but your four hours one way....I would not have been happy.

I believe I will table this whole purchase for now. Couple of reasons...Since the only "deal" that appears to be going on is the free weight pockets....not worth the rush purchase. And, considering I just found out both rotors and brake system has to be replaced on my car like now...there goes that spare money.

I will just have to keep searching for someone close that will let me dive their bp and wing and see before I pluck down the big bucks.

RICHinNC:
I did a lot of checking on the internet and would like to find these prices I am hearing about regarding Oxy but when I go to their site and do the math it does not come out the same for me. Maybe I am missing something there.

You're just looking at the wrong site. COVCI sells the complete package for $480.

http://tinyurl.com/2lnvf

Rich, have you concidered the Jet Harness (Jet Harness .com)? Jeff only sells via the internet. Can't beat the price (around $300 ish) and custom fit to your specs. I have two, SS and ABS, and I love'm both.
(here comes the fighting)

Matthew J D'Avella

Rich

Why buy new? You can find used TP's all day for about $250 - $350. Don't get in a hurry and wait for a deal.

Good Call Mike!
Mike is right, do not rule out going used. Have a look at eBay. Both new and used BCD's are available everyday for a good price.

Back
Top Bottom