Training tips for Tech1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark50

Registered
Reaction score
I'm signed up for GUE's Tech1 for this coming November with another dir diver. We've been spending every available weekend as a team in the quarries working on the skills for a stable platform, bouyancy control while task loaded, S-drills, V-drills, controlled ascents with the SMB, carrying the deco bottle....
While all of this has been real helpful in improving my skills I'm wondering if we're missing anything in this routine or under-estimating the rigor that will be involved. I'd appreciate any advice from anyone that has been through the course in regards to your preparation, training, what to expect,.... Thanks in advance.

Just be perfect in the water.... you'll be fine. :)

All those skills you've been practicing.... take turns practicing them neutrally buoyant in mid-water without a mask.

Why take turns? 'cause the one without the mask will be relying on the masked one to run ascents, stops, deco, etc...

Obviously, before even attempting to add other skills, you should be completely confident that you can hover in mid-water without a mask for extended periods of time.

Thanks for the advice about be able to control yourself without a mask at depth. Is there a suggested routine whereby the team member who still has a mask helps the sightless one through an ascent - i.e. have the sightless one grasp my right arm so I have my left arm free to work my dump valve as needed, or have him/her wrap their index finger around the SMB line to sense whats going on,....

Thanks for the DVD tip. I'm presently holding my breath waiting for it to arrive.

Do your drills and work on maintaining a maximum of a 3 foot variance in your depth, that will be one of the required skills. I just passed Fundies and am now practicing for Tech 1 also. That and knowing what some of the drills will be is helping us with our practicing too.

Actually, the 3 foot variance is the absolute maximum. You should be aiming for 1 foot variance or less when holding stops. I haven't taken T1 yet, but from the people I know who took it, mastering the basics from fundies is important and managing your buoyancy/trim while task loading. They guys I talked to took it from AG. He was taking stage bottles from students, people losing masks and going OOA while shooting a bag, and all kinds of fun stuff.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom