Training death in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are planning any sort of legal case, then maybe contact a lawyer in the first instance... as they will have a vested interest in ensuring the medical autopsy is carried out properly.

And, my deepest sympathies for your loss.

David,

This story breaks my heart. I am so sorry for the loss of your grandson. My condolences to you and your family.

Is any information about what actually occurred available?

Thanks for asking Thal....
I have a little more information. I am pretty sure of what happened, but some of it is still supposition.

Tyler (my 15 y.o. grandson) was doing a Discover Scuba with his parents. They had completed the pool, and a shallow beach dive under the program. They were offered an "optional" boat dive on Santa Rosa reef.
Tyler had a few minor problems with his mask during the beach dive, but handled it ok. On the boat dive the three of them, with one other diver, and the instructor entered the water and were descending. Between 10 to 15 feet Tyler again had problems with his mask (he was "fiddling with it") The parents and Instructor were slightly deeper, and saw him, with his hands on his mask, and he then pointed up, and started up. Both parents started up after him. (Note; rate of ascent is not known, but it not appear to be excessive.) They saw Tyler on surface in a face down float, not moving. (I dont know if the reg was in his mouth or not.) The Instructor passed them both to reach Tyler as quickly as possible.
An EMS professional (from Wisconson) jumped in, from another boat, and both of them did cpr and got him on the boat. I am not sure the stratus of the Boats oxygen, but they took the boat into the beach, where a Doctor at the resort (guest?) assisted.
Tyler was pronounced at that time.

I know there are gaps, and I am going to fill in as many as I can. I am talking with DAN, and PADI, to try and work out the complete scenario. My take is that Tyler got water in his mask, and decided to abort the dive. When he looked up, the water entered his nose, and upon hitting his throat caused a "larangospasm" this caused his throat to close, and either stopped all, or part, of the air in lungs to stay trapped. As he went up, he developed a lung expansion injury, and believe (as offered by a few other divers as a cause) had a severe Arterial Gas Embolism. Which went the Cerebral route.

If I find out more information, I will pass it on. I am not trying to place blame, but I would like to have all the information possible. It sounds to me like it was an extemely unusual series of events, that once started, had no viable ending.

I do want to thank everyone for their prayers, love, and support. The Service was Saturday, and was very well done.

Dave

Dave, many of us have wanted to know but - hated to ask. Glad you don't mind sharing what you do know. In addition to our condolences, you have our support and hope you continue to feel comfortable talking with us about this horrible accident.

If I understand, there were 3 Discover divers with one Instructor, and a certified diver?

As I said at the outset, you have my most sincere sympathies as I know from first hand experience how hard this is. I have been wondering what you learned from the autopsy but didn't want to intrude. Who thinks that such serious consequences can occur in such a shallow depth. Thanks for the update.

Dave,

First of all, thank you for your clear and remarkably poised explanation of the possible events related to this tragedy. None of us can imagine the pain you and your family must be going through. Your strength and bravery in relating the information my help avert another tragedy, and for that thank you.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a Laryngospasm is relatively unusual as I understand it. And normally a Laryngospasm involves not being able to inhale, but allows the victim to exhale, at least to some degree. I'm wondering if that would preclude exhaling while ascending.

Again, thank you for all you have shared.

Jeff

Hi Don,
3 discover scuba, and 1 other person in gear (I dont know if he was another 'student', or if he was certified.)
1 instructor

Dave

Dave,
Correct me if I am wrong, but a Laryngospasm is relatively unusual as I understand it. And normally a Laryngospasm involves not being able to inhale, but allows the victim to exhale, at least to some degree. I'm wondering if that would preclude exhaling while ascending.

Again, thank you for all you have shared.

Jeff

I dont know Jeff.
My personal research (I had never heard of it before) indicates it can restrict the passage of air, both ways. This information comes to me from the medical/surgical side of land based occurrences. I have read at least two accounts, and received one personal accounting from a friend, where this occured while the patient was on an Operating table. They were all given an emergency tracheotomy.
It is very rare in the diving/swimming world, (from what I understand).
Any medical people that have input on this would be greatly appreciated.
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom