Medical CPR in Grand Cayman

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by diving or non-diving medical injuries or conditions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Today I dove Grand Cayman. At about 8:30 this morning, preparing to board the dive boat at Red Bay Dock a diver who was already out was brought to the dock with CPR in progress and divers left in the water.

Not a ton of solid info: Diver was with a dive boat operator and group. Became unresponsive underwater (unknown depth), assisted surface and CPR was started immediately on the boat, continued on the dock and into the ambulance; Care was transferred to multiple instructors on the dock and boat went back out to get their divers. AED was applied with no shock indicated… Manual defibrillator showed asystole from my quick glance at it, explaining no shock being indicated by the AED. Diver was transported by EMS.

Unfortunately, I have no other info about this incident.

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service (RCIPS) has reported that a man encountered difficulties diving and passed away on February 8, 2024. The incident occurred while the man was on a dive boat.

According to the RCIPS, they were alerted when the 9-1-1 Communication Centre dispatched police and other emergency services to the Red Bay Dock on South Sound Road just after 8:30 am.

CPR was administered at the location while emergency personnel were on their way.

Emergency Medical Services and Cayman Islands Fire Service personnel attended the location, and the paramedics and fire officers took over administering CPR.

The man was then transported to the hospital by ambulance, where he was pronounced deceased.

The police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Back
Top Bottom