Training death in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidofaustin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I really dont what to ask. My wifes son and family went to Cozumel, and this morning took a certification course. agency unknown, resort unknown, my me - right now. My grandson and step-son / with an instructor, were at 15 feet of water (open - or confined, unknown) when my grandson appeared to be having mask problems and went to the surface. He was followed immediatedly, and found unresponsive and unconsious on the surface. CPR was administered, and a nearby Doctor involved.
Cause of death, asphyxiation.

My son-in-law is requesting an autopsy, but would prefer it to be in the U.S. - We have found that he can not repatriate the body, until it has be enbalmed.

Here is where we need help. Can we trust the Mexico Medical Examiner to give us a forensic report that can be used? And/or can a 2nd autopsy be done in the U.S. after embalming?

I will include more information as I get it. But these questions need to be handled quickly. (nothing seems to be open on Sunday)

Please reply

TSANDM is a SB Moderator and a Medical Doctor. I forwarded this to her and hopefully she can see it soon enough to answer your questions. My sincere condolences. This is horrible.

It just dawned on me-call DAN. They have Doctor's you can speak with and get the immediate answers you need. 1-919-684-4326 is the number I have for them, I also have a 1-919-684-8111

You might try putting this up on the Coz forum. Some of the residents down there may have experience with this sort of situation.

I appreciate the help. I have called DAN, (1st thing), they told me to call the US consul and gave me the number. It leads to the same answer though. An autopsy there, Embalming there, then he can be repatriated. I havent an answer on the 2nd autopsy issue yet. (I did not ask DAN about this one - yet)

I'm so sorry to hear this. I saw your post on the Coz board but didn't realize the death included a loved one. I hope you get the info you are seeking and that your family can come through this. I lost a sister through drowning (I recovered her body) and know first-hand how devestating this can be to a family. My thoughts are with you.

He may have held his breath leading to an lung expansion injury. My condolences to you and your family.

Mike

thank you MMM.

It takes my breath away at what you and your family are going thru right now... The scuba family is large and loving and if you need help, you have come to the right place... Please accept all our thoughts and prayers.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom