Trail Tech 10Watt HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwbrewer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anybody know if the Trail Tech 10Watt HID bulb/Ballast will fit in a D-cell converted maglite? I'm sure the bulb will, but I don't know if the ballast will fit down the barrel of a D-cell maglite. All help appreciated.

Jake

I can't answer this question, but I have read a lot about people trying to make can lights from these trail tech lights. A major problem that they have run into is the ballasts over heating. If it is not a snug fit, the heat will not effectively transfer from the ballast through the housing and into the water. Just another thing to consider. I've heard that people tried machining lightheads out of delrin, but it didn't work, so the switched to aluminum, which has been succesful. Havn't heard of anyone successfully using a maglite. I'm interested to hear what you find out.

Thanks Jeff. I have a haolgen light I made, I also have a 3watt LED bulb for it that I haven't tested. I was hoping I could throw a HID bulb in my existing lightead. Sounds like if I do I'll have to find a way to tie it to the AL tube if it will fit to prevent overheating.

Good luck. Let me know if it works. I've been thinking about starting a similar project. I'm not really interested in having a halogen light, and not confident I can make a HID work.

I think I do remember reading in the Airspeed Press book that the D-cell mag would work with the AW 10w hid, but I'm not positive. I'll check and post back....

-Ben

ps - I'm doing a trailtech 30w HID with lathe-turned aluminum lighthead. Making the lighthead has been a PITA (I'm new at lathe work, and my lathe is small). It's only 1/3 done. In the mean time I've been using a maglite head with a 50w halogen bulb in it. When the hid head is done I'll throw the maglite head in the spares bag as a backup.

Okay... I checked my copy of Divelite Companion. It says the D-cell maglite barrel is a good snug (sometimes almost too snug) fit for the WA-10w HID ballast. Here's the thing though: The Maglite head fits an MR16 bulb. The WA-10w HID bulb is a smaller MR-11 style.

If you don't have a copy of the Divelite Companion (Airspeed press) I highly recommend getting one. It has a lot of good stuff in it.

-Ben

I build light heads from scratch for the trail tech 10w and the ballast and lamp are roughly the same size, I bore the head to 1.400, which is a loose fit.

see my attached pics

Attachments

• P1230012_resize.JPG
    P1230012_resize.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 124
  • P1230013_resize.JPG
    P1230013_resize.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 99
  • P1230014_resize.JPG
    P1230014_resize.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 101
  • P3180004_resize.JPG
    P3180004_resize.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 102
Here is one more picture to give you a size reference

Attachments

• P7030004_resize.JPG
    P7030004_resize.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 126
Yes it will fit! You might need to take some emry cloth to the inside of the Mag lite. I made some modified Mag lite HID before I had a friend cut some smaller heads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom