Can light cord and glands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A couple things I've noticed taking apart this old HOG 21W HID that I'm curious about. I see that the cord has a crimp in it by each end under the gland, but I'm not sure what the purpose is. There was also some gel under the gland, so I'm wondering if the crimp is to retain the gel that keeps out any water that makes it past the gland seal. I'm just guessing here, does anyone know?

Also, when looking at the screws that keep the ballast chamber shut, I notice something that looks like neoprene cement on the threads. Similar to loctite, but black. Is this likely to be for sealing, or just to keep the screws in place?

I assume there's no exploded diagrams or service manuals available for lights, right?

Attachments

• IMG_0374.jpeg
    IMG_0374.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0375.jpeg
    IMG_0375.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 54
That crimp is just where the cable gland was squeezing the cord and it took a permanent set. The gel was most likely just silicone grease to help with the seal.

Not sure on the stuff that was applied to the screws. Are the parts delrin, or aluminum? If it's aluminum it might just be something to prevent the parts from corroding together. Lots of boat mechanics coat the fasteners that go into aluminum with gasket sealant to prevent corrosion. It also might just be something like red locktite to keep them from backing out.

That's not a crimp, that's the divot from the gland being tightened onto the cord at that spot.

Not sure on the stuff that was applied to the screws. Are the parts delrin, or aluminum? If it's aluminum it might just be something to prevent the parts from corroding together. Lots of boat mechanics coat the fasteners that go into aluminum with gasket sealant to prevent corrosion. It also might just be something like red locktite to keep them from backing out.
Delrin I believe, and it's possible it's just bits of Delrin coming out with the threads. It's black, so I don't think it's either of the red/blue loctite.

Back
Top Bottom