Traffic in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fookisan

Reaction score
Was told to avoid driving to the Keys on weekends due to excessive traffic on the long highway. Are weekends doable or is it best to plan Key visit during weekdays?

Thanks,

Dan

I've heard the same thing, but we went one weekend (in June) and traffic wasn't that bad. Sure it was there, but it moved at a good flow.

Just don't expect to drive 60-70mph.

Now a wreck on the highway or bridge shuts it all down as there is only one way and one way out.

mike_s:
I've heard the same thing, but we went one weekend (in June) and traffic wasn't that bad. Sure it was there, but it moved at a good flow.

Just don't expect to drive 60-70mph.

Now a wreck on the highway or bridge shuts it all down as there is only one way and one way out.
... I hate that Sunday afternoon traffic coming back. You're hot, you've eaten too much and you're tired. The drive is stop & start unless you're one of those overly-prudent drivers who do 30 to save break lining wear & tear. In THAT case you're a road hazard because of the less-than-prudent drivers who insist on passing in hopes of finding a stretch at 60-70 mph.

The answer is that it's not fun but of course it's doable... not much worse than normal Miami rush hour except on the Palmetto... but that's a different topic for a different forum lol...

Just take your time and hope for the best. I was going down there once and we almost made it down US1 between Floriduh City and Key Largo before FHP closed it for a medevac - missed getting though the mess by three cars.
Don't rush - allow plenty of time and you'll do ok.

Fookisan-
Im from Ft lauderdale and I've driven to Key West on several occasions. The traffic is only bad like they say, if there is an accident or you happen to hit the wrong part of day. Here are a few tips if your're interested. Go early AM the earlier the better for traffic. I would say avoid major holidays like the 4th of July weekend. Don't plan anything that you have to get down there for or at a certain time, likewise on the way home, it will stress you out. Also if you are not going all the way to Key West, you should'nt really worry, Its not as bad as they say.

Have fun and enjoy the keys!

Driving in the Keys sucks any day of the week compared to normal places, I guess that's what happens when everyone uses one road. You can expect an average of 35-45 mph, the weekends aren't much worse then the weekdays, just gotta account for it.

There is/was a high-speed ferry that was operating from either Miami or Ft Lauderdale to Key West. I saw it advertised a year or two ago, but haven't seen it since, so not sure if it's still running (or ever did). I think it was a 3-4 hour run from "the mainland" to Key West and was around $120 bucks roundtrip.

"IF" this is still operational, then this isn't that bad of a deal, especially if you were flying into south florida anyway because you wouldn't have to rent a car. (I think a rental car n Key West is not really needed).

Anyone know if this high-speed ferry ever went into operation?

recently having relocated here from los angeles i would say the traffic isnt all that bad, i would characterize the 405 in southern california as more like the bumper to bumper starting at islamorada coming back from the keys over this past memorial day weekend. oh yeah and thats the kind of traffic to and from work everyday =)

so from my perspective. it aint really all that bad =)

the later in the day it gets the slower it gets in the keys. wake up earlier and get out there and it wont take you long. im at the bottom of homestead at the border of florida city.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom