Tourist dies in New Caledonia during a "Discovery Scuba" dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And don't forget to keep the reg in even if vomitting.
And for the love of god, please make sure to give the reg an absolutely thorough rinsing once you are back to base (boat, shore, spacecraft, etc.).

I tend to find unscrewing it, flicking out the chucks then wiping it in the persons kit next to you on the boat works for me.

Please explain. I understand you should only wear as much weight as you need to maintain a safety stop with a possibly nearly empty tank and make a controlled ascent to the surface, but can't you have some of that weight in pockets?

It could be but in cold water where people need lots of lead ive yet to see a single integrated system that will hold large amounts of lead securely.

If you are weighted correctly, there should be no need to ditch weights anywhere.

Yep

Do you mean the practice of ditching weights or using ditchable weights? Sorry for the confusion...

Im against both. I firstly dont see the need and secondly see things like belts and insecure WI jackets as dangerous. There have been many incidents of people losing belts or weights, turning into a polaris and getting bent, embolised or worse as a result. If im on the bottom of 40m of water i do NOT want my belt suddenly deciding to detach as i WILL get hurt.

Understood. Quick release weight pockets on W.I. BC's have become more secure than they used to be, with clips now instead of velcro, but I guess they are subject to user error if not "clicked" in correctly. They're not easy to pull out in my experience.

Weight belt buckles can be accidentally unbuckled. Hopefully one is horizontal (should be throughout the dive anyway) when/if that happens and it can be pretty easily dealt with. I have heard that some people use 2 belt buckles. Is this a valid practice?

I have had no issue with my W.I. BC or weight belt yet, anyway. I put about half my weight in each for very cold water diving (for 16 lbs total).

I do see valid reasons for a weight harness, especially for people who have smaller hips than their stomach or who have difficulty keeping a weight belt on, but also for security of the weights, as you mentioned.

Back to the previous discussion with discovery scuba courses, I really think they are too variable and perhaps need to have a few more stipulations in place.

My wife was introduced to scuba diving with a discovery scuba course. We were at the underwater park in Avalon on Catalina Island when she decided she wanted to give scuba a try. We contacted one of the guys from one of the shops and the three of us went under. All my wife got was a brief discussion that basically told her, her only responsibility was to make sure she equalize often and early. She got her gear on, breathed on the surface with her face in the water for a few minutes and then we went under.

The instructor had his hand on her BC the entire time underwater. We hit a max depth of 30 feet and all the inflating/deflating of the BC was done by the instructor. He was watching her like a hawk the whole time making sure she was equalizing and was comfortable. Myself being certified just swam with the two of them and took pictures. My wife loved the experience and is now wanting to get fully certified, which I am stoked about to have a permanent dive buddy.

Point of the story is that discovery scuba in OW can be done safely. However not all locals and agencies have such strict procedures. DSD that give the student too much freedom can be dangerous. In this case had an instructor been within arms reach of this diver when he panicked on the surface, perhaps this never would have happened.

My intro to scuba happpened in Jamacia, I did a couple laps in a pool, put on a tank and a BC then went to the open water. we went down to 30'. an hour later, I paid the additional money and went out with some other divers and my "instructor" yeah right... we went to 50'. When I got out of the water, I told my wife I wanted to get certified. all was great. Now though, when I look back on the whole experience I think about just how horribly wrong this could have gone. I had NO IDEA what I was doing, I was WAY too deep for a first timer and the sad part was, I thought this was all normal.
I am very glad that I have gone back and gotten my proper certifications but I would NEVER reccomend doing a resort/ discover scuba dive to anyone. it's just not worth the risks... My thoughts are with this tourists and his family, and I hope that someday, we as a whole can get a cap on these DSD accidents.

It could be but in cold water where people need lots of lead ive yet to see a single integrated system that will hold large amounts of lead securely.

I have not had an issue with my weights and the cold water. While YES, i have to dive with an obscene amount of weight because of my suit, I have an integrated BC as does my wife, and neither of us have had an issue with either getting the weight into the pockets or detaching said pockets. To be truthful, I did ensure that when I bought my BC, it had large pockets to get the weight into them, but they have both the velcro and the snaps and I cant say enough good things about my BC. Sorry, just had to add my .02 cents on that one...

I have not had an issue with my weights and the cold water. While YES, i have to dive with an obscene amount of weight because of my suit, I have an integrated BC as does my wife, and neither of us have had an issue with either getting the weight into the pockets or detaching said pockets. To be truthful, I did ensure that when I bought my BC, it had large pockets to get the weight into them, but they have both the velcro and the snaps and I cant say enough good things about my BC. Sorry, just had to add my .02 cents on that one...
That'll vary a lot with BCs. My Oceanic probe will hold 30# of lead safely with Velcro plus locks. My first BC did not have the same locks, tho - hated it so much that I used a belt.
Back to the previous discussion with discovery scuba courses, I really think they are too variable and perhaps need to have a few more stipulations in place.
Nice sounding idea with no effect in most of the world. They already have many requirements ignored. Ask your next tropic location Padi operator to see his quarterly air test results. :rofl3: Some have them, many don't, all are required.

That'll vary a lot with BCs. My Oceanic probe will hold 30# of lead safely with Velcro plus locks. My first BC did not have the same locks, tho - hated it so much that I used a belt.

Nice sounding idea with no effect in most of the world. They already have many requirements ignored. Ask your next tropic location Padi operator to see his quarterly air test results. :rofl3: Some have them, many don't, all are required.

I agree here. Even if such stipulations did exist there in no one to hold the dive agency accountable for not following the stipulations. As much as there are many dive shops and agencies intent on making diving a safe, comfortable experience, there are still way too many who's ideals weigh heavily on the almighty dollar and not diver safety.

I agree here. Even if such stipulations did exist there in no one to hold the dive agency accountable for not following the stipulations. As much as there are many dive shops and agencies intent on making diving a safe, comfortable experience, there are still way too many who's ideals weigh heavily on the almighty dollar and not diver safety.
You're usually find in the US, Canada and other more developed nations, and I'm sure the Avalon dive op was great - know one, know of the other. Don't know the one at Twin Harbors? The lower the average income of the local, the more risk you'll see generally.

Back
Top Bottom