Tourist dies in New Caledonia during a "Discovery Scuba" dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dunno guys. My ScubaPro Black Diamond holds plenty of weight (I've used it with 40 pounds when using my drysuit and insulation) and seems very secure with its velcro pocket attachments.

I happened to notice in my LDS the other day that this BCD now uses clips. I couldn't even get the pockets out in the shop - I don't think I'd ever manage it underwater with lobster mits on. I'll take the velcro, thanks.

As for not ditching weights - if nothing else, if you're at the surface and your BC doesn't inflate - suppose a dump valve is busted open, or its got a big hole - or whatever. Now you're at the surface swimming your ass off, esp. if you can't ditch your weights in some way, shape or form.

Not if you aren't ridiculously overweighted to start with you wont be.

Not if you aren't ridiculously overweighted to start with you wont be.
Or the waves kicked up while you were below, or you surface far away from the boat and want to float higher to be better seen, or you're new or made a mistake, or other possibilities. I've never had to ditch weights, but I always want that option - on me and anyone I dive with.

You will never be more than 3kg negative with a single tank if you are weighted correctly. Waves dont matter. You can float or kick. Surface too far from boat to be seen? The 2 inches extra dumping weights may give in that situation are useless. That's what delayed SMBs are for.

Well, I guess I could wear a lot less weight, just hang out on the surface for an hour while everyone else is diving. Also cuts down on the usefulness of ditchable weights I guess.

Or the waves kicked up while you were below, or you surface far away from the boat and want to float higher to be better seen, or you're new or made a mistake, or other possibilities.

Eurgh. Use an SMB. If you don't have an SMB, take a fin off and wave it. The marginal difference in floating higher without weights is tiny.

As for not ditching weights - if nothing else, if you're at the surface and your BC doesn't inflate - suppose a dump valve is busted open, or its got a big hole - or whatever. Now you're at the surface swimming your ass off, esp. if you can't ditch your weights in some way, shape or form.

Just take the BCD or BP/W off then. With it removed you'll be able to tread water easily, especially in a wetsuit or drysuit. Out of the rig, you can probably even remove any weight you can't ditch when it was on you.

SMBs make great floats on the surface too.

Well, I guess I could wear a lot less weight, just hang out on the surface for an hour while everyone else is diving. Also cuts down on the usefulness of ditchable weights I guess.
Gonna be a snorkeler when you grow up, huh...?

String's approach may work well for him, but I like to be slightly negative with 500 psi left even if I have handed off my pony so I can dodge boats & jets skies - and with my 19 cf pony kit, I'm even more negative. In the event of an emergency, I like the option of dropping my front weight pockets as many of the accidents and losses happen on the surface - especially if I am unconscious.

String do you teach your students to dive with no ditchable weights? I know how you feel about your own; what if you're disabled or unconscious....?

In general, many bodies are found with weights not-ditched. I'd like to see more done to help new divers remember the option even during a panic.

No thanks Geoff_H, I don't want to ditch my BC - just the front pockets. ty.

No thanks Geoff_H, I don't want to ditch my BC - just the front pockets. ty.

Sure, but you can't then make statements like this:

Now you're at the surface swimming your ass off, esp. if you can't ditch your weights in some way, shape or form.

There are plenty of ways to deal with a busted BCD at the surface without ditching weights and having to "swim your ass off".

Sure, but you can't then make statements like this:

There are plenty of ways to deal with a busted BCD at the surface without ditching weights and having to "swim your ass off".
Uh, that actually was not my quote. You missed somewhere.

Anyway, yeah if you have secured weights on your BC and it fails, then you might have to abandon it in some emergencies - but I'd hate to do that with a disabled or unconscious diver.

The lower the average income of the local, the more risk you'll see generally.

Gee thanks, Don - I'm headed to Egypt next Spring....:shocked2:

But thanks to you, you can bet I'll be testing the air from their compressor!

Trish

Back
Top Bottom