Tourist Dies During Diving-Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBill1955

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Someone emailed this to me:

The Nassau Guardian Online Guide

Tourist dies during dive

By Staff Writer ~ Guardian News Desk:

An American visitor to New Providence died while on a diving trip organised by Stuart's Cove Wednesday morning, according to police.

The victim is a 55-year-old man from California, according to police press liaison officer Sergeant Chrislyn Skippings.

According to her, the man was part of a group that went on a dive trip with the company yesterday morning.

She said when the group returned it was discovered that the unidentified man was missing.

"A check of the immediate area was conducted and the man was found floating in nearby waters, clad in a black and blue dive suit, with the breathing apparatus attached," she said.

Management at Stuart's Cove had no comment on the matter yesterday.

When The Nassau Guardian arrived on the scene, the many guests at the dive operation seemed unaware of what had transpired.

Police say it was unclear as to exactly what happened and investigations continue.

Thursday March 18, 2010

Unfortunate accident with no cause mentioned but I am severely disappointed that the crew didn't even notice him missing when they left the site, if this part is accurate...?
She said when the group returned it was discovered that the unidentified man was missing.

It's not written exactly clearly, then. When I read that, I understood it as "when the group returned to the boat".

All the best, James

Unfortunate accident with no cause mentioned but I am severely disappointed that the crew didn't even notice him missing when they left the site, if this part is accurate...?

It doesn't say anything about the crew leaving the site and not noticing him missing.

It's not written exactly clearly, then. When I read that, I understood it as "when the group returned to the boat".

All the best, James

Agree it says when the group returned..... I took as in returned to the boat also.

It doesn't say anything about the crew leaving the site and not noticing him missing.
Ah, thanks. I misread it to say they returned to dock and then discovered. My bad. :blush:

Last time I dove with Cove they checked our names off as we left the boat and rechecked us off when we reboarded. Doubt they left the dive site without noticing the missing person. Still, this is a tragedy.

The article doesn't even get the dive op's name correct. It's Stuart Cove, a guy's name, not "Stuart's Cove" as if it were a location.

Ever notice how so many of these deaths are of people between 50 and 55?

Ever notice how so many of these deaths are of people between 50 and 55?

I seem to also notice when a grumpy old guy has a heart attack, etc.. while diving, it is a "diving death". It gets written up in 3rd string new papers and CDNN. This pile of 3rd and 4th hand misinformation is then discussed in A&I for the next 3 days.

When he has one walking, jogging, playing tennis, driving, in bed, etc... it is a plain old heart attack that is hardly considered news worthy even by the peanut gallery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom