German woman dies in Baltic Sea dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two things helped me with dsmb deployments. One was filling the sink with water to practice loading the smb. Seriously, I repeated the process dozens of times in the sink, and it locked in the muscle memory. Now whenever doing an ascent I deploy the smb from depth and ascend the line, it actually makes controlled ascents much easier, and is fun.
I suppose I could use something like an 18-gallon storage tote or cooler filled with water to practice at home.

What's "challenging" for me is mostly the whole A-to-Z process, and doing that quickly. For my current rig, that is:
  • Retrieve butt-pouch (sidemount setup)
  • Retrieve DSMB attached to spool from inside pouch
  • Secure butt-pouch
  • "Un-roll" DSMB and have spool in hand.
  • Inflate and shoot DSMB to surface, while not dropping the spool.
  • Ascend to the 15ft line I have marked.
The actual shooting the DSMB is only a fraction of the overall time and fumbling, which is why I want to do it in the water. That said, perfecting any portion of the process without having to actually be in the water, diving, etc means I can practice those parts at any time, and I've improed a few other skills with out-of-water practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom