Torn between TG6 & E-PL10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted,

Read up on sensor sizes. I seriously debated between those two cameras myself. The TG6 has a GoPro sized sensor while the EPL10 has a much larger 4/3 sensor. The sensor size and low light capability was important to me as the water I dive in often has a sediment in it making it hard to use strobes or video lights.

I was leaning heavily towards the EPL10 before I found a good deal on a used full frame camera. Probably overkill for my needs but I hope to grow into it.

Sam
I have been reading up on sensor sizes and you’re spot on. Pretty big difference. I think all the help in this thread convinced me that the EPL10 is a better choice for me at this point. Thanks!

I have owned both.
The tg6 is great with macro and an excellent camera at its price point
The epl10 is a step up and lets you expand for a reasonable price

solid point. The EPL10 seems to fit my needs better at this point. Thank you!

I have a TG5, my wife has a TG6 and I bought the EPL10. The best overall photos come out of the EPL10. It's autofocus is faster and crisper, the larger sensor is a definite improvement. I shoot the wide angle zoom but I've managed some decent macro shots when it's at the 42 mm setting.
View media item 211082

Rather than a new epl10, you might look at a better but used 4/3 camera, from the first generation, like the OMD-M1 or M5 or M10. With housings, these just-a-few-years-old cameras are still great, WAY beyond the TG-X and also the epl10, and there are more and more showing up used on SB and WetPixel for good prices.
For example:
For Sale - Olympus OMD EM5 and Olympus housing

Oh ****. So you’re saying this camera, despite its age, is a step up from the EPL10?
For me, definitely, if only because of the viewfinder on the M5. I do not like using the rear LCD screen for composing underwater, I prefer my eye to a viewfinder.
YMMV

Oh ****. So you’re saying this camera, despite its age, is a step up from the EPL10?
If you are interested i have the omdem5 with olympus housing and multiple lenses to sell
Hunt sround and find a reasonable price than make me an offer if you choose

I have been a Olympus MFT user since 2012 and love it. The E-PL10 is in a different, higher, category than the TG6. The E-PL10 is a much better choice in all aspects but will cost you more money. It has a much wider choice of accessories, lenses, etc. with better sensor and specifications. The only issue will be the cost, it will cost you more than the TG6. If you can afford it, then don't look back, go for the E-PL10. The housing offered by Backscatter in the link in the post above is a great choice. I'd definitely consider getting one of these viewfinders with the housing:

AOI UMG-01 LCD Magnifier for Olympus Compact Camera Housings

AOI UMG-05 Underwater 90° LCD Viewer for Olympus Compact Camera Housings (this will probably be my choice)

I suggest that you talk with the good folks at Backscatter or Bluewater Photo & Video - Underwater Cameras, Housings & Lights and get their advice. The Oly M10 MK IV is another excellent choice to consider.

Back
Top Bottom