Torch or no Torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always dive with a small one, but it certainly isn't essential. Most dives can be done without.
To each his own; many times I could dive without a light source but I choose not to. It's rare that I never turn my light on on a dive. One use of a light I have, for example, is in swimthroughs when I am behind my wifebuddy. We have an understanding that I will keep shining my light past her where she can see it as a "OK" indication so that she doesn't need to turn around to check on me. If I were to move it rapidly back and forth in front of her (it has never happened), that would be a "NOT OK" signal.

I already have a quality torch that is pretty compact. However, that one you mentioned looks like a nice little back up. Probably gonna snag it up. Thanks!!

A decent light is always nice to have even in the Caribbean for looking under ledges, overhangs, swim throughs, etc. I don't splash without one. If you wish to do any night diving you will need at least two lights plus a marker light for your tank.

Those DGX lights are pretty good value. 600 lumen is great even in the day time. I use the push button one daily, zero issues with it.

I have an Intova light I like a lot; the number by the pushbutton switch is 11-115589. It's compact and very bright, and it's handy to have during a three day grid blackout as well as for diving.

I have both the Volador and DGX 600 button mentioned above. I carry both on night dives and keep one clipped on for day dives. It's hardly essential during the day, but it is nice to have.

I haven't used one, but if you are trying to travel light, the Xtar D20 and D20B (the only difference is the switch) have the same specs as the Volador and DGX in a smaller package. 【New Products】XTAR D20 1000 & D20B 1000 Dive Lights!

I bring my light on every dive. For me, it's part of my necessary equipment on my BCD. I love looking in the crevices for cool stuff!

I always dive with one and, after some time, my wife has started to as well agreeing with my reasons for having one.

-Having light for a ledge, a hole or a swim through.
-For use as a "laser pointer" if you need to point out something and the other person isnt getting it. Example, you can circle a scorpion fish you dont want to approach but the other person isnt finding.
-I've been underwater at Cozumel when a thunderstorm blew over and it got DARK. We stayed underwater because of the lightning at the surface. I was very happy I had my light!

-Since it is always part of my kit, its 0.5 lbs less lead I use. If I night dive, I still bring 2 additional lights for night and this kit light is always there if needed.

-Heaven forbid you are separated from the group or boat and night falls, most have a pulse mode to help if you need to be found. It is my night time SMB.

For those that bring lights, do you bring chargers also? Or just extra batteries?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom