Torch and camera mounted on mask at once?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listen to your instructor as you’ll learn a lot.
The poor instructor is liable to learn how, on every subject that comes up, he's wrong, the course materials are wrong, the established practices are wrong, and this student's opinion on the matter is the one and only indisputable truth.

If you mean MY arms, I can't leave them at home. My gloves would fall off.
If you mean my strobe arms, they allow me to move my strobes away from the lens, depending on the distance to my subject. Having strobes too close gives you this;
View attachment 754506

Using strobe arms will allow you to get this instead;
View attachment 754507
I see. But I can't help wonder, there must be a better way than having loose pipes about that could get snagged on things. not sure what it is, but this is the 21st century. Bluetooth air?
Did you notice that the camera was hanging from his harness? There has to be enough slack in the tether for him to bring it up to eye level to frame and shoot. He's just resting his hands on the folded arms to keep it from swaying around. The arms will be extended and flatter when in use and his hands will be holding the camera at eye level.
Ah, I thought the camera was fixed between the strobes. So er.... doesn't he need three hands to operate the camera and hold the strobe arms?
@Naked diver 2 — from your comments it does appear that you’ve done very little if any diving. That matters not.

Plenty actually.

What does matter is that taking a camera with you diving is a massive distraction and can be very dangerous for novices. At least with a camera and torch strapped to your head your hands are free to grab hold of things.
Oh, an agreement!
However, all that weight on your mask is a considerable risk that it’s highly likely the mask will be knocked off your head or dislodged during a dive. The best head mount for heavy kit is on a helmet, not on a mask.
A helmet? I don't wear that on a bicycle and I won't wear one underwater. I prefer actually getting wet.

As part of your basic dive training you’ll practice removing and replacing a mask underwater. From what you’ve said during this thread one can only conclude that you’ve not yet started your basic training.
And never will. There's this thing called google.

The poor instructor is liable to learn how, on every subject that comes up, he's wrong, the course materials are wrong, the established practices are wrong, and this student's opinion on the matter is the one and only indisputable truth.
A good teacher listens to the opinion of the student.

The point I was making was taking a photo with an older on-land camera with a viewfinder. Those tend to be held by one hand, and they don't shake.
Completely wrong - any decent photographer uses two hands.

I see. But I can't help wonder, there must be a better way than having loose pipes about that could get snagged on things. not sure what it is, but this is the 21st century. Bluetooth air?
Those are buoyancy strobe arms. Without them, I can't move the strobes out much and the housing would be more negative than my weightbelt. They are not loose pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom