Topping Off Bailouts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonG1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
assuming you aren't offboarding dil, just wondering how people approach the point when a bailout or OC deco gas bottle gets to the point where a top up is required. You alaways lose a bit either just through pressurisatioin or de-pressuriation, testing a BOV etc.

It's an expensive option to blow it down and start again, I could practice bailout with the gas I guess, but I tend to do that on my air sidemounts.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb as to how far from a standard gas they are happy to stray. My LDS doesn't bank standard gas everything is mixed from constituent gases.

I’ll top off with air to get the pressure back up and if the oxygen or helium gets a bit high/low then will do a rich (10/75) top off to bring it back into my tolerance, with an air top for pressure.

Personally -- within reason -- am far more concerned about the gas volume than the mix; other people may be different.

I boost from banked gas. But my BOs go out of hydro before I really need to top them up lol

Usually if I end up with a partial fill somehow, I will take all that gas and put it into my trimix bank, hydro and vip the tank. Then remix using the bank as a starting point depending on what I want.

I boost a bit beyond fill pressure to account for random purges, testing, etc. I try to keep my AL80 stages at 3200-3250psi (~225bar). It's not much but it does help. It's entirely arbitrary but I don't generally top off until things start getting lower than 2700psi (~185 bar).

I know it doesn't help your answer as I use standard gases and have a booster and compressor to fix my mixes but I'm generally more concerned with helium content/END than I am for O2 for my deeper mixes. My 15/55 for example, if it's at 2700-2800psi i'd be fine topping it off with air to 3100psi to get ~15.5-16 / 48-50ish. I'll eventually just top it off with more Helium to fix it.

I’m in the “be friends with people who have boosters” camp. Although with the amount of beer I bring them it might be time to get a booster myself :wink:

In all seriously, I do the same as @macado. I have enough trimix banks for my rebreather bottles that I can throw a bailout on there for the last couple hundred psi. What causes issues is when I’m traveling an have a bailout drain accidentally and realize it’s about 3 years out of hydro… whoops

assuming you aren't offboarding dil, just wondering how people approach the point when a bailout or OC deco gas bottle gets to the point where a top up is required. You alaways lose a bit either just through pressurisatioin or de-pressuriation, testing a BOV etc.

It's an expensive option to blow it down and start again, I could practice bailout with the gas I guess, but I tend to do that on my air sidemounts.

Does anyone have a rule of thumb as to how far from a standard gas they are happy to stray. My LDS doesn't bank standard gas everything is mixed from constituent gases.
I have banked 15/55, O2, and helium, 32%, and a booster, so I keep the bailouts topped up with something approaching the original mix. Sometimes a bit of fiddling is needed but I'm not overly fussed about standard mixes, only mixes I've analysed and labelled. That said, I keep them similar to standard mixes (+/- 2% on O2 and +/- 5% on He) in case it actually matters.

I use AL80s for bailout and I also use it for offboard Diluent.
My personal rotation is simple and works for me.
I have them filled with 18/45. When I get down to 2800 psi, I top it to 3100 with Helium and dive 16/50.
When it gets to 2800, I top it to 3100 with 32% and dive 18/45.
When it gets to 2800, I top it to 3100 with Helium and dive 16/50.
This pattern continues indefinitely. Both of those gases are adequate for my normal dives and it is a simple rotation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom