Top Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With your size and your vulnerability to getting cold, NO Wetsuit, will keep you warm, you need to go DRY!!!!!!

Economical options:
1. Bare Nex-Gen: they have a promotion right now for FREE underwear.
2. D.U.I. TLS350se: You save about $600 going with a back zip suit and IMO better zipper reliability.

...the next logical question then is: Is the Galapagos an appropriate place to learn how to dive 'dry' ?

...the next logical question then is: Is the Galapagos an appropriate place to learn how to dive 'dry' ?

You're gonna learn a lot about alot about how you dive...wanna add another task?

Is there not enough time between now and summer to learn?

I would suspect there's enough "time" but could the OP get enough "experience" is the question.

My daughter learned to ride a bike in a weekend, doesn't mean she was ready for a hilly, 20-mile ride through through the countryside the next weekend.

I would say that it took me about 20 non-training dives before I was really "don't have to think about it at all" comfortable in a drysuit.

I'd say if the OP could get about that many dives done in conditions similar to Galapagos she'd be fine. But doing 20 dry-suit dives (or 30 or 40 dives) in a local quarry or even say Puget Sound may not prepare you adequatelyy for Galapagos diving with significant current, up-drafts, down-drafts, surge, chop, zodiac diving, hot-drops and drifting ascents. I think you'd want to be at the "don't have to think about it at all" point in your suit before diving it in the Galapagos.

She seams to have some dive experience, and if she got good drysuit training with a thorough instructor up there where she lives in Washington , and did more dives up there before she goes, I would think that that would be enough (?) .. depending on herself and how she learns though

The Galapagos is more advanced diving conditions. She said that she was going this summer. By NO MEANS do I say get the suit and go. I recommend that she tries to get a good 20 dives in before her trip!

i only have 10 dives on my Atomic Split fins and love them. And diving here in the northwest i dive wet. 2 piece wet suit from Akona. My hood and booties and gloves are the Merino wool line from Pinnacle. they claim to be the warmest and so far i would have to agree. i have no problems with my extremities in our "cool" waters of the puget sound.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom