Top Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seagal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in the process of looking for either a new 7mm wetsuit or a semi-dry wetsuit. I am a 125 pound woman and I get really cold. I have an oneil 7mm that I wear with a 3mm vested hoodie in hawaii. The temp in Hawaii ranges but I was just there and dove in 70 degree weather and was sort of cold on some dives. I am going on a 7 day liveaboard boat in the galapagos this summer and want to make sure I am well prepared for the cold water conditions (60-74 degrees) and multiple dives. Can you recommend any wetsuits, gloves and booties for me? I dont care about the price I just want the top of the line and the warmest! How are the atomic split fins(open heel)? Thanks! Any dive experience storys in the galapagos would be appreciated as well! :D

If you're getting cold with that much neoprene, why not consider a dry suit?

I am in the process of looking for either a new 7mm wetsuit or a semi-dry wetsuit. I am a 125 pound woman and I get really cold. I have an oneil 7mm that I wear with a 3mm vested hoodie in hawaii. The temp in Hawaii ranges but I was just there and dove in 70 degree weather and was sort of cold on some dives. I am going on a 7 day liveaboard boat in the galapagos this summer and want to make sure I am well prepared for the cold water conditions (60-74 degrees) and multiple dives. Can you recommend any wetsuits, gloves and booties for me? I dont care about the price I just want the top of the line and the warmest! How are the atomic split fins(open heel)? Thanks! Any dive experience storys in the galapagos would be appreciated as well! :D

Why don't you take a look at the waterproof line from Sweden. They make some really good quality stuff. They have all that you are looking for. gloves, hood, booties, etc. Look them up, i am sure you wwill not be disappointed. I use there line in the New England Waters, the water there does not get above 54degrees.:shocked2:

if you are wearing 7mm + 3mm in 70F water (thats what I think you meant) and still got cold, then I think only a drysuit is going to make comfortable in water temps as cold as 60f
A laminate type drysuit can be used in a larger temperature range by the thickness of your undergarments .. and if you do get a drysuit, then local diving becomes more accessible to you too

Among the best would be the merino lined Pinnacle wetsuits and the Waterproof wetsuits - good designs, materials, and build quality. Zeagle (USA) owns Pinnacle, Waterproof is Swedish. Both fabricate suits in Asia.

The single most important item is proper fit.

Wetsuits - Zeagle Dive Systems

Waterproof USA : Wetsuits | Drysuits | Thermal Protection | Accessories

I can tell you that diving in the Galapagos (been there twice) in a 3mm suit is not enough for the colder southern islands. Wonderful place. Make sure you dive new equipment before your trip to break it in and become entirely familiar with it. Most wetsuits will fit better after a dozen dives.

Wow, 7mm with 3mm hood and vest in 70 degree water.

If you get cold with that setup I don't see how a wetsuit would keep you warm in a lower temperature. Water transfers heat 25 times faster than air.

I recommend DUI TLS350 with good under garment. It is simple, light, and easy quick drying. They pack up small and are light and easy to carry. Yes, they are expensive new, but sometimes you can find one used that is in good shape. If you dive often and plan to dive for years they are a good investment. You could also get dry suit certified and rent one for a week to take on your trip. A drysuit is an investment both in money and time to learn how to properly dive in. Dry suit diving is a bit of a skill so I would get the training and do several dives with it before you go on your trip.

If you want to stay with a wet suit there are many manufactures. What is best is subjective. What is best is what is best for you. It must fit you properly. The semi-dry wet suits are a bit warmer because they have seals on neck, wrist, and ankles which traps the water so you don't get cold shots of water down your neck etc. You could go with a custom wet suit (liquid fit, aquaflite, wetwear,nemowetsuits, otterbaysuits).

Standard brands: Henderson, scubapro,acona, xs scuba, pinnacle, mares, o'neil, and many more). Integrated hood is warmer, farmer john style might be warmer (double thickness around torso) semi dry is warmer. The thicker the suit the warmer it is but then you need more weight because of added buoyancy.

What is best is what you like and fits you the best.

okay, no one else has asked so I will -- are you sure that your old suit, the 7mm that you get cold wearing, is the right size? Too many people buy a suit and don't realize that it should be tight, very tight, just short of uncomfortable when out of water. I used to tell people (I used to work in a dive shop) that if they can put on a wetsuit in less than 5 minutes, it is too big!! It really should be snug, the neck seal, the wrist seals, the ankle seals should be snug enough not to be letting in water constantly. The new stretchier suits on the market are easy to take off and put on, but they also let in more water, therefore are not as warm. Keep that in mind, too. You may need to go down a size or even two to find a suit that fits correctly.

Also - it is very important to use gloves, hood, and warm booties in order to keep your whole body warm. You are losing warmth at each of those points if not covered.

I am about the same size as you - my last 2 dives trips were to Roatan and Cozumel (water temps 78-80) and I wore a 5mm suit and a 3mm hood both trips, and the DMs and other boat passengers thought it was funny... at least the first day. After the second or third day people were asking me about my hood and telling me that they wished they had brought more than a 3mm suit. In Roatan I ended up loaning one lady another one of my hoods (I brought several). She said it helped tremendously.
On my trip to Palau a couple of years ago, I wore a 3mm fullsuit and a hood... once again, DMs laughed, but it helped keep me warm doing 4-5 dives per day! Water was 83-85 degrees but over the week on a liveaboard, your core temp does drop. :D

robin

With your size and your vulnerability to getting cold, NO Wetsuit, will keep you warm, you need to go DRY!!!!!!

Economical options:
1. Bare Nex-Gen: they have a promotion right now for FREE underwear.
2. D.U.I. TLS350se: You save about $600 going with a back zip suit and IMO better zipper reliability.

Back
Top Bottom