Top 10 Freshwater Dive Locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awakefie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I am looking for personal top 10 lists. Specifically, freshwater dive sites in the midwest. Those are the only two criteria. Any added info like average visibility or specific attractions to the site would also be great to include. I am interested to see what sites are referenced most frequently and what sites come up that are as of yet unknown to the diving public.

Thanks,

awakefie :D

That is an easy one. Just list your 10 favorite wrecks. The OP is in Chicago so they should be within a reasonable distance from Chicago. Visibility in Lake Michigan runs from 100 ft in the early spring to 40 to 50 ft in the summer. The attraction is some of the best preserved wrecks in the world.

Let's start with:
S.S. Wisconsin
Lady Elgin
St. Mary
Wels Burt
The Straits of Mackinac
Material Service
Seabird
Rosinco
MST728B
Fin Seeker

Thanks Capt. Dale I'm in Buffalo Grove and hang out with Nick from Berry Dive Center. We have been talking about setting ups some wreck trips for a new dive club we are setting up. So those are great suggestions.

I don't know if they are among the top 10 or not, but I have dove at Mermet Springs in southern IL & I frequently dive at Pennyroyal Scuba in Hopkinsville, KY. Mermet ranges in depths from a few feet to about 130. The Vis is usually 20ft or so. There is a sunken 727 jet that was used in the movie US Marshalls sunken in it, along with some other attractions. The tail is at 15ft & the nose is at 55ft. The facilities at Mermet are excellent.

Pennyroyal ranges in depths from wade in shore to 120ft. The vis is usually anywhere from 20ft- 50+ft. There are also several attractions sunken that include a UH1 helicopter & an RV. They have a small article about it in the newest Dive training magazine.

Tobermory and the Fathom Five National Marine Park

Wooden shipwrecks from the 1800's still intact, good vis. Cold.

Some of my favorites over the years (in no particular order):

1) Pt. Traverse - on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario, in the 80-110' range, very intact shipwrecks from the 1800's to the early 1900's. Better earlier in the year but the charter books up fast
2) Tobermory - fairly decent for intact but the better wrecks are deeper - 90-140'. Water is cold but vis is pretty good.
3) Bonne Terre Mine - bit on the expensive side but nice winter trip
4) Mackinaw Straits
5) Kingston, Ontario
6) St. Lawerence (especially late summer when the water is warm with no thermoclines
7) Up State, NY in Lake Erie - on the eastern end the lake is deeper and the wrecks more in tact

Hey guys, just randomly came through this part of the forum! I'm moving back home to buffalo grove in the end of march and would LVOE to do some diving back home. Didn't know there were so many options. I"m an SSI ow inst. but haven't done any speciality courses for wreck diving. i suppose i ought to do that.

Hey Oren413 my roomate and a few friends hit Haigh Quarry in Kankakee most weekends in the summer and we plan on hitting lake Michigan this summer if we can afford too. I'll PM you my email and if you want to dive let me know.

awakefie

If you don't mind a little bit of a drive.... come to Santa Rosa, New Mexico and dive the fresh water spring 'Blue Hole'. Water is 62 degrees year round and cost is $8 per weekend for a dive permit. Water is crystal clear unless there are tons of people there (like summer). Winter time is the best!

Check out my photos and videos:
Blue Hole, New Mexico on Vimeo
BLUE HOLE Photos

[vimeo]1432688[/vimeo]

031409BlueHole_077.jpg

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom