Tooth squeeze with implants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I already had one implant when I started diving, and I have a couple more now. The only issue I have experienced is scheduling enough time between diving season and trips for the surgery/graft/Implant to heal.

I have one implant and no issues with diving since it was done 5 years ago

Can you still dive with implants? Or do you get tooth squeeze. My entire upper palate is implants - 6 screws. My dentist doesn't know. You think he would- it cost 32K.

Much mahalo,
Kit Teague PADI Instructor # 10197

Aloha Kit,

When an implant is properly placed there shouldn't be any air anywhere in the system (post, abutment, prosthesis). If there was air trapped between the post and the abutment, or the abutment and the prosthesis, you wouldn't experience pain. If you do experience pain in the area with diving it's worth a return visit to the oral surgeon as it could indicate a complication around the post.

Best regards,
DDM

Aloha Kit,

When an implant is properly placed there shouldn't be any air anywhere in the system (post, abutment, prosthesis). If there was air trapped between the post and the abutment, or the abutment and the prosthesis, you wouldn't experience pain. If you do experience pain in the area with diving it's worth a return visit to the oral surgeon as it could indicate a complication around the post.

Best regards,
DDM
b_intro_design.html

Hi DDM, these friction designs are popular and do always have a small gap in between anchor and abutment by design. That space, however, is sealed off to the outside environment.

b_intro_design.html

Hi DDM, these friction designs are popular and do always have a small gap in between anchor and abutment by design. That space, however, is sealed off to the outside environment.

Hi, thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately I can't see the image. I did check with our oral surgeon's office before posting.

Even though it's sealed off to the outside environment, an air space can still be influenced by increased ambient pressure. It sounds like you're familiar with these implants, can you provide some detail and/or re-post the image?

Best regards,
DDM

7A35EBEB-2301-4AC9-AFD1-5097B6D74CAD.jpeg
Hi, thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately I can't see the image. I did check with our oral surgeon's office before posting.

Even though it's sealed off to the outside environment, an air space can still be influenced by increased ambient pressure. It sounds like you're familiar with these implants, can you provide some detail and/or re-post the image?

Best regards,
DDM

Here we go. I hope it works this time around.

View attachment 481898

Nice image. More often than not "area 5" is threaded and torqued to a specific reading. There should be not communication between ambient and the air space apical to the abuttment. As long as osteo integration has occurred there should be no contraindication to diving. Prior to that undue occlusal forces from the bitewings of the second stage and possible emphysema evolving the peri-implant area would be a concern.

If your implants are fully integrated and the bone has completely healed, no problem. Typically the maxillary(upper)takes 4-6 months and longer to fully integrate. Diving pressures and the affects on a healing implant have not been studied(unless I’ve missed it). As with any other bone in a healing state, a conservative dive profile might be Indicated.

SteffinSB covered it quite nicely! Cheers

View attachment 481898

Thanks! If area 5 is not threaded as @Tool Belt mentioned, is the abutment secured to the post with cement? If so, would there still be an air space?

@Tool Belt, if the area is threaded and torqued, I don't imagine there's any possibility of air ingress with pressurization, is there? Interesting thread, thank you to all the dental professionals who contributed!

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks! If area 5 is not threaded as @Tool Belt mentioned, is the abutment secured to the post with cement? If so, would there still be an air space?

@Tool Belt, if the area is threaded and torqued, I don't imagine there's any possibility of air ingress with pressurization, is there? Interesting thread, thank you to all the dental professionals who contributed!

Best regards,
DDM
Hi DDM, No, 5 is a friction fit in the picture I provided. There is no additional adhesive used. See e.g. Bicon Dental Implants | Product Information | SHORT® Implants

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom