Tool needed for DIN/Yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradsab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a SP MK25 that came with both DIN & Yoke connectors. I want to remove the DIN and install the Yoke.

1. I can't figure out how to remove the DIN. I took out the sintered filter thinking there would be an internal hex socket, but no. And there's nothing externally. Is there a dedicated tool for this?

2. I have over $60,000 in tools, but absolutely nothing to get on the nut inside the Yoke to install it. Needs a thin-wall box wrench or something. Another dedicated tool?

3. The o-ring is missing from the yoke connector. Will an o-ring from my assortment for hydraulics & a.c. systems work, or do I need something special?

I'm not opposed to buying some dedicated tools for this; I'm toying with the idea of doing my own reg service, and I'm somewhat of a tool junkie anyway. Where can I get this stuff?

I took out the sintered filter thinking there would be an internal hex socket, but no.

Take another look.

2. I have over $60,000 in tools, but absolutely nothing to get on the nut inside the Yoke to install it. Needs a thin-wall box wrench or something. Another dedicated tool?

There is a special socket, but you can also use a really big (15") crescent wrench. It will reach around the yoke and grab the nut. Resist the urge to use a smaller wrench that doesn't have contact along the entire edge of the yoke nut.

I believe that SP has a thin walled socket that fits over the yoke nut and under the yoke. The ratchet is passed through the yoke hole, after the yoke knob has been removed.

Get out your wallet! Peter Built Co.

This might take some research and I am sure other SB members will know, but check when you bought your First stage as there was a recall on so SP yokes at one time as some of them had metal fatigue. I love SP regs I prefer them, but I have witnessed with my own eyes I yoke break under pressure. I am not sure about switching DIN on SP I would check with SP and I am sure they will help you. I would also recommend to take an authorized SP repair class and you will not have a problem working on your regs for the rest of your. Being a tool junkie I think you would really like the class! Good luck.

Forget about the recall for the 1st stage it is for the MK 20 that was sold between 1996 - 2001.

Fireflock-
Here's what I have: the first .4" is threaded for the sintered filter retainer, the next .4755" is a .403" round hole, and the rest (.8625") is a .242" round hole.

Thanks for the suggestions on the 15" Crescent wrench, and AWAP's link to the modified socket. Between the two I'm sure I'll get that, but I have to get the DIN off first.

What about the o-ring?

This might take some research and I am sure other SB members will know, but check when you bought your First stage as there was a recall on so SP yokes at one time as some of them had metal fatigue. I love SP regs I prefer them, but I have witnessed with my own eyes I yoke break under pressure. I am not sure about switching DIN on SP I would check with SP and I am sure they will help you. I would also recommend to take an authorized SP repair class and you will not have a problem working on your regs for the rest of your. Being a tool junkie I think you would really like the class! Good luck.

The recall on the MK20 was because the yokes were being overtightened and not torqued to standards.

Good luck getting into a SP class without working for a shop. It ain't likely to happen unless a shop is willing to let you go under their dealership agreement.

Fireflock-
Here's what I have: the first .4" is threaded for the sintered filter retainer, the next .4755" is a .403" round hole, and the rest (.8625") is a .242" round hole.

Thanks for the suggestions on the 15" Crescent wrench, and AWAP's link to the modified socket. Between the two I'm sure I'll get that, but I have to get the DIN off first.

What about the o-ring?

The din is an allen fitting. Check DEEP inside.

Fireflock-

What about the o-ring?

Humm. My Mk20 DIN connector requires a 4mm allen wrench to remove the filter retainer, spring, and filter. Then I use a 6mm allen wrench to reach down the bottom and unscrew the fitting. Torque on the 6mm fitting is 266 in-lb and 35 in-lp on the 4mm fitting. What is your question on o-rings?

Back
Top Bottom