Too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have posted this story before but it bears repeating. I met an 80+ year old woman on the Garloo several years ago. She needed some slight help to climb the ladder but she was solid underwater. She told me that her only regret was waiting until her 70's to get certified.

And I was certified in 1972.

You are not too old to start!
What a positive insight :)

Given a reasonable level of fitness as long as you are breathing and still able to take in nourishment then I would say you are not too old.

Never too late! I'm a 60 year old instructor and Course Director still working at elite levels.
Some of my best students have been people in their 50s and 60s.
As long as you are healthy go for adventure!

I was certified at age 54 after thinking about it for 20 years (It is an expensive sport). The gear/weight is kinda tough at times, but not prohibitive, I'm just saying this because during my open water class I remember thinking "Mermaids don't have to haul all this carp around :mad:. I have found that anyone is willing to help me if I just ask. I find boat diving is much easier than shore and warm water makes diving a cinch! Keep us updated on your progress!!! and...dive safe

Started at 61 three years ago and logged my 300th dive at Truk Lagoon last week. Go for it and enjoy the experiences.

My girlfriend got certified at age 66. She had never even been snorkeling. She went along on a couple of dive boats and kept seeing all those people who were so anxious to jump into 70-80 feet of water and then coming back and talking about how great it was so she decided to find out for herself. She likes it so much that I find her booking our next trip while we are still on a trip.

I'd say just stay within your limitations and don't do a dive that you are not comfortable doing. Unfortunately my girlfriend has some kind of ear problem and became disoriented on a night dive so basically she cannot do night dives. Daytime dives are another story :)

I am i feel. I walk everyday, work 60ish hrs a week etc. To prep i am lapping in a pool a couple times a week. Do you feel that is adaquate or perhaps something additional?

Depends upon how many laps. I'm 65 and swim about 40-50 laps 3-4 times a week plus other cardio exercises. I'm confident that I can swim back to shore if the boat sinks :wink:

I'm 64 now. The older I get the easier I want everything, especially the walk to the shore, entries and exits. But I can still handle most anything within reason if I have to.

Apart from a brief try in a pool when I was 37 I did not dive again until I was 59 and was 60 when I got my OW cert. There are plenty older than me including learners at my local clubs and dive sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom