Too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am i feel. I walk everyday, work 60ish hrs a week etc. To prep i am lapping in a pool a couple times a week. Do you feel that is adaquate or perhaps something additional?

That’s fine. Snorkeling laps with a kickboard a mile at a time several times a week is how I got into shape after I started diving out of sheer necessity. I was a sloth!

BTW, I got certified at 47. 49 now.

I am i feel. I walk everyday, work 60ish hrs a week etc. To prep i am lapping in a pool a couple times a week. Do you feel that is adaquate or perhaps something additional?
The swimming is good because there’s a swim test you’ll have to pass for the certification course but it’s not difficult at all, I went through the course with people of all shapes and sizes/ages and everyone did perfectly fine. The “too old” attitude is a stigma that holds a lot of people back from doing amazing things you just gotta push past it :)

The swimming is good because there’s a swim test you’ll have to pass for the certification course but it’s not difficult at all, I went through the course with people of all shapes and sizes/ages and everyone did perfectly fine. The “too old” attitude is a stigma that holds a lot of people back from doing amazing things you just gotta push past it :)
I will push past it. Thank you, when you think that you cant get through the swim test due to commrnts, makes me drive harder. I may not be flat stomach 25 year old but i have the strength and will. I am glad i queried here

That’s fine. Snorkeling laps with a kickboard a mile at a time several times a week is how I got into shape after I started diving out of sheer necessity. I was a sloth!

BTW, I got certified at 47. 49 now.
Cool, that is what i will do. Should be good to pass and a slptj

I am extremely interested in starting to scuba and get certified. I am 61 years old and havent been in the water for several years. Is it too late to start, honestly? Should i spend the money on classes, gear etc? My spouse is negative toward me swimming but yet he wants to scuba and is certified.
I had a 73 year young open water student. Me thinks you are perfect candidates.

When I was in Palau a couple of months ago, the DM said that he had a diver in his group a few weeks before who was celebrating the first anniversary of his OW certification. He was 86.

Put 45lb in a backpack and standup from a sitting position (roughly the weight of your gear and then a generous bit). If you are comfortable walking around, you are good to go.

Only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I'm almost 70, broke my back in January, am overweight, and don't exercise. I just did 28 dives in Cozumel. I think Coz is easy diving with an occasional need to know the things you learn in OW training. You should do fine. Good luck and have fun.
Cheers -

A 61 year old in good shape should be absolutely able to get through the OW course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom