Too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could think that you are definitely too old to start now, because you obviously already missed decades of weightless underwater tranquility and Zen..
Or you could, as you seem to do, finally get started and join all those other divers that started way too late in (safely) enjoying this awsome activity.

I once asked Alvaro Gonzalez at Always Diving in Cancun about this issue. He told me that he had a gentleman come to him for lessons at the age of 72. And he didn't even know how to swim.

Seriously you sound like a great candidate. The swim test for your OW isn't really all that difficult.
Reasonable health and the right attitude are the important qualifications. Once you get certified the most important thing is to dive within your training and comfort. As you get experience and gain confidence you can work out what type of diving is best for you.

Have you noticed this Grumpy Old Divers

Personally I think the thing that makes good divers or bad divers is attitude not age.

Know a few people that instruct that are round about your age and seen a number of people getting certified "later in life" - most of them are pretty good divers because they are willing to work for the certificate and listen to what they are told. Younger people maybe not so much (I am speaking with very broad generalities here - millennials want it NOW whereas older generations are willing to put some effort in).

The fact that you are willing to swim laps speaks volumes! I would rather dive with a swimmer, because ultimately we are in the water here folks. Swimmers live longer too— I forget where I read it but there is some scientific proof of this. Check out the threads about how to configure gear for a woman in terms of making it fit better and be lighter and more comfortable. The rental gear you will be in for your open water certification may be the most uncomfortable gear you ever dive, and those first few dives can feel very awkward but it gets better quickly if you go diving.

A few extra pounds helps keep you warm in the water… Look at seals, or heck just look at divers on the boat, very few flat stomachs there. No one tells you this but the second chorus to DIVE DIVE DIVE! is often EAT EAT EAT! But if you can resist the second chorus you may even lose a few pounds diving.

To the OP do it if you want there is no reason not to …..you are not too old I am 67 been diving for over 4 decades the only thing that really sidelined me recently ( for about 8 months) was stage 4 throat cancer been back diving for the last few years ……..for the last 10 years I have been getting a medical checkup once a year from a DAN recommended doctor to insure my fitness for diving.

Website for DAN

DAN: Divers Alert Network - Scuba Diving and Dive Safety Association

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom