Too many members??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The question is whether the problem is too many newbies asking questions they haven't seen asked before or is the problem too many old timers with no patience and egos at risk of overexpansion injury?

Asking questions is never a problem!!

Egos and attittudes can be...

God post learn-scuba

Jeff Lane

Learn-scuba, you have a point.

But anyway, about these sharks. Aren't DIR divers more likely to be attacked as their black dress make them look more like seals, a favourite meal for large sharks. This may also be the reason behind the increase in diver clubbing incidents.

Eash

Has he just been hit by a club ? or is doing the other kind of clubbing, either explanation could work, either is scarey

rmediver2002 once bubbled...

I have not really payed much attention to it but when it has caught my eye the complaints seemed to stem less from the style of diving but more from the knee jerk answers "I do it because it's DIR" or "I don't do it because it's DIR"

Some folks in my opinion (on both sides of this issue) just do not have a grasp yet of why each technique is done. Without having the experience to really grasp the intent of a technique you can not effectively support or condemn its use.

Jeff Lane

Forgive me if I'm beating a dead horse, but listen. No one around here says "I do it because it's DIR" OR "I don't do it because it's DIR."

Everyone who gets labelled as a "DIR proponent" or whatever around here almost always answers questions with "I do it xx way and here's why." The list of reasons damn near never even includes "because it's DIR."

For example, people ask about BC's a lot. They tend to get responses that encourage them to look at bp/wings. The typical response includes things like "more stable," "very streamlined," "comfortable," and "hydrodynamic." People ask about fins, and many responses encourage Jet Fins because "they're stiffer," "enable you to do more kicks," and "indestructible." People ask about Air2's and get responses that include "not optimal," "do you really want to have to breathe off your inflator in a panic situation?" They ask about regulators, and Apeks or SP are recommended because of "value," "reliability," "performance," and "work great with doubles if you go that route."

Anyone who's been here more than a month or two probably knows the DIR gear config pretty well and most of the reasoning behind the choices. They may attack the system for whatever reason, but the fact that they're already familiar with those reasons means that people aren't spouting off "just because it's DIR" left and right. I don't think I've *ever* seen *anyone* on the board say that except as a joke.

Please, pay attention to what you read. Have an open mind. I don't care what you think about DIR, but don't spread lies about DIR or the people who support putting real thought into their gear choice, DIR or not.

Do they run the show "Saturday Night Live in the UK?"

This is a photo from a really funny parody they used to run called sprockets... Making fun of what I guess would be early techno club patrons...

Jeff Lane

I think they run it at the weekend in evenings, when I am possibly out looking like that but too drunk to realise.

Jonnythan - Believe it or not none of the posts were anti-DIR, I think a lot of us non-DIR divers would confess to having learned from DIR opinions. It is fun to have a laugh about it once in a while though.

The post you quoted I read differently to you, DIR/non DIR only being an example of some of the stronger feelings on the board, where people give a quick response from personal opinion with out any reasoning behind it, i.e. Knee Jerk reaction.

Most posters do give reasoned replies to any requests but occasionally something else happens, for example I vaguely remember a while back a newby asked for advice on which BCD and the first reply was 'BP/W' . That was it, the reply consisted of 3 letters that the newby probably didn't understand. Its not the norm but it does happen

I read that only 1% of the population were divers. Its no wonder so many threads are written regarding "diving business" and "agencies" and "LSD's" and "greed" and ...... well at 1%, that leaves alot of persons to be certified ...

I dont know if this number is exactly correct, but if so, it leaves alot of doors open for businesses to be profitable, and explains the herding of divers to get the "c-cards" and spend that money on equipment.:)

Maybe only 1% of the population is capable of diving (mentally, and physically) :confused:

On a more serious note, I am glad this and other forums exist, as I just stumbled across it about a month ago. I have learned more about diving from the discussions, than I would have sitting down and reading a book. The dialog for most cases is positive debating, and brings about alot of good information from real divers/diving situations. Anyway, I am glad to be here and since I am headed to Aruba next week, where I plan to do alot of diving, I am glad to be alive.

Cheers,

Clyde=-)

Some people are just taking every statement the wrong way...

Please, pay attention to what you read. Have an open mind. I don't care what you think about DIR, but don't spread lies about DIR or the people who support putting real thought into their gear choice, DIR or not.

You know everyone in the world is not either 100% for you or 100% against you... I find it laughable that you could have taken that post so far out of context... Did you take it as a personal attack?

The intent of this statement:

Some folks in my opinion (on both sides of this issue) just do not have a grasp yet of why each technique is done. Without having the experience to really grasp the intent of a technique you can not effectively support or condemn its use.

was that some are taking the time to make thier own decisions based on good informaiton, experience, and training... Others just blowing hot air without understanding the thoughts and concepts that went into specific decisions...

Jeff Lane

Back
Top Bottom