Too many members??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

A seperate thread for polls might be a thought.

Getting ride of polls would be a better idea.

rmediver2002 once bubbled...

Some folks in my opinion (on both sides of this issue) just do not have a grasp yet of why each technique is done. Without having the experience to really grasp the intent of a technique you can not effectively support or condemn its use.

Well said.

Trying to encourage people to think about what they would like to say in a paticular thread so they do not have to post multiple messages back to back...

:wink:

Or we could remove the post logging feature so folks are not drawn to juvenile attempts at running up thier numbers in some pitiful attempt at an appearance of experience...As if that is some measure of worth in the first place...but there is already a thread on that!!

Jeff Lane

DivingGal once bubbled...

As for multiple member names... it is against the TOS for one member to hold more than one.

I thought I remembered reading that. Some people obviously dont think its a big deal...

Scuba446, Scoobiedooo, now CaptHook, and whatever his other names are...

rmediver2002 once bubbled...
Trying to encourage people to think about what they would like to say in a paticular thread so they do not have to post multiple messages back to back...
:wink:

I quote people individually to keep things in context.

Besides, this issue isn't about the number posts but the number of threads! :wink:

Im a bit disappointed by all this. I'm new to the board and have only just started diving. I was hoping I could get some support and good advise from more experienced divers without feeling foolish about asking. Should I be reluctant about asking for help and support, or just spend my time searching through old threads so as not to fill the boards up with 'old stuff' that has been discussed before?:(

Don't let this thread put you off posting. The people apparently discouraging new members posting are most likely just looking for an arguement. Unfortunately I keep letting myself get dragged in

Conor once bubbled...
Don't let this thread put you off posting. The people apparently discouraging new members posting are most likely just looking for an arguement. Unfortunately I keep letting myself get dragged in

thanx buddy, I knew I could rely on you!!

Those of you who are discouraged with the growth of the board should really be more tolerant due to the incredible growth of this board. Most of them are new divers but not all. I found this board about 6 months ago by accident and it's interesting to see how many more members have joined. Who knows how many are just out there lurking and reading. Granted, there are many here that just want to have a place to boast about their perceived diving skills but you are going to have that with any medium such as this. Many are very willing to share with those who want to learn to be more proficient at this wonderful hobby.

I know those of you who have been here several years are used to having this as your personal poster board but there are many out there who can greatly benefit from this information. If a subject was discussed a number of months ago then there are many new members who were not around at that time and they have not learned or don't know how to use the search function. I was guilty of the same thing at first. If you see a subject that you have already posted on or read THEN JUST DON'T READ IT. How difficult is that? How many posts have we all seen about DO in Coz, Rest in Coz, Hotels in Coz? There's hundreds of them. But at times they need to be updated, so do it.

There's only so many things that can be discussed about this subject so inevitably your going to have duplication.

Sorry about the rant...........just my .02 worth

PS - Coner, I'm guilty of the same thing.......can't help it

..could be...but you can be a part of the solution... Goodbye..Have a nice life! :hi:

Seriously though, I don't think rehashing old topics is such a problem, I do, however, think folks need to look at the board before they post a new thread. I think it's pretty stupid to have three identical threads running at the same time because nobody bothers to look before they start a new thread...and they should learn to use search button as well. It is true that this probably occurs more with the newer members, but cut them a little slack. They'll catch on eventually.

As far as DIR is concerned...I am not a DIR diver but I do think DIR discussion, even if it does get old sometimes, IS a very relevant topic for this board. It is true that some of the DIR folks can get to be like DIR Natzies ( sp..bypassing the filter) or something, but I've noticed it's usually after someone slams them and their way of diving. Personally, I've never had any DIR divers berate me or treat me bad and I really don't understand how some of the non DIR crowd can get so worked up over it...but then again I don't go around slamming them, so maybe that's why they don't attack me.
I can honestly say that I personally have NEVER had a DIR diver knock my non DIR gear configuration or technique...but then again, my bouyancy is pretty good and sometimes I use a couple of their kicks and what not. No DIR diver has ever been mean to me personally.

Really the only real major difference to me is the gear setup. I mean DIR divers strive to be the best they can be...and so do I, as well as many other non DIR divers... so what's the problem.

Back
Top Bottom