Today's Dive Flag fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you ever want to drift dive in SE FL, you will be required to use one. No need to visit

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised that they haven't amended the law for the reason op has stated outcomes could very tragic my personal safety comes before abiding by the law and from all accounts the float flag has proven to be more dangerous then safe

An smb is imho the safest way to wan and alert people that you are surfacing

But certainly, not the easiest and safest way for your boat to know where you are or where you will surface. There are often multiple groups on the boat, multiple drop areas, multiple dive plans, and, not infrequently, significant current. As before, if you want to dive in SE FL, you need a dive flag

Well you wanna see current and multiple dive groups come up her and dive the st lawrence the dive boats have no problems keeping track of six or more groups with no flags while drifting

Well you wanna see current and multiple dive groups come up her and dive the st lawrence the dive boats have no problems keeping track of six or more groups with no flags while drifting

OK, you win, your dive practices are safer than those in SE FL and your dive conditions are much more difficult

I am not trying to put anyone down u understand why many states and provinces want you to float a flag
But honestly what's the point of a float and flag if it is 300 feet away from you

@scubadada are you patronizing me because I've only snorkel in Caribbean water with little to know current and 100+ft vis and diving in cold water with strong current makes a diver great I strongly encourage all ocean divers to come and dive the st lawrence at least once there is a lot to see and do
It will also make you appreciate our knowledge and experience

^The point of the 300' rule is this is supposed to be the cautionary zone for the boater relative to the flag. Divers are to do their best to maintain that.
Shooting a smb is common here too. Your are assuming boaters know wth a smb is...most don't know what a dive flag is.
With that said, this is Florida, so....

An smb is imho the safest way to wan and alert people that you are surfacing

It sounds like your perspective is from diving in a lake? And you extrapolate that to the Atlantic Ocean?

In my opinion it is unwise to dive without someone pulling a float while doing a drift dive in the local area. If you are diving one small location like a wreck, then it might be feasible and legal to not use any float and have a flag on the boat and send an SMB up when the divers leave the wreck.

With our currents, variable weather and sometimes bumpy conditions, it is not practical to assume a boat can follow or keep good track of several groups of divers in deeper water.

it is true that pulling a float has significant disadvantages, but the benefits of not being lost - generally override the negatives.

I have had a similar thing happen when pulling the float.. many times. However, each time it has been my own dive boat accidentally drifting over the floatline and then getting it snagged on the motor or running gear. You can feel it when that happens and you try to hang on, swear a lot and patiently wait for the captain to attempt to untangle the vessel from the floatline. If he has a helper on board, it is usually not too big of a deal.

It is important to be able to drop the floatline hook/reel if or when the float gets snagged. If a boat should snatch it at high speed, it could be very dangerous.. If I hear a loud, high speed boat approaching, then I will generally try to gingerly hold the hook and keep it above my head- so it can be snatched from my hands without having it hook me by my chin and haul me to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom